External graphics card on E5-572G

Options
DaktoNiektoIný
DaktoNiektoIný Member Posts: 28 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, can you tell me which one of those adapters to PCIe x16 should i use (like if you have some experience with some, because im not sure) and I wanna ask if its possible to make that adapter at home (i got som older parts of x16)... Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

to be honest, it's not worth to add an external GPU to any laptop dye to bandwith and costs.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DaktoNiektoIný
    Options

I know its not worth it normally but i got spare R7 250...Im even planning to upgrade CPU in the future and maybe Ill do a desktop out of it (just for fun Smiley Very Happy).

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Bandwidth is not an issue. Difference between pice 3.0 x16 and pcie 3.0 x8 can be up to 1% on unigine heaven benchmark there is no difference between x16 and x8. Difference between pcie 3.0 x8 and pcie 3.0 x4 is about 5% on GTX 1080, so with gtx1050 it will be probably the same. Nvidia requires to have at least x8 but x4 will work too. I don't know if the generation of pcie will impact the performance. For example on pcie 2.0 x4 might be slower than on pcie 3.0 x4. So you need to find out what generation of pci express lanes are in your laptop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IronFly
    Options
    Ven98 we are talking about a laptop...and you can't switch GPU or add it in any way to internal ports or slots on his model but just connecting an external GPU to thunderbolt3 port if available.
  • ven98
    Options
    You can but I don't know what components in what pcie lanes are connected. Lets say the wifi card is connected to pcie x4, then on its place you can connect this device(with a pcie cable x4 cable) on which you are gonna place the nvidia card.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• IronFly
    Options
    I doubt it will recognised.
  • ven98
    Options
    It will, but if the mini pcie slot is x1 or x2 then the reduction of performance will be a lot and totally not worth it to even go for it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• DaktoNiektoIný
    Options

I dont want to use Thunderbolt but mPCIe to PCIe x16 convertor/adapter   something like EXP GDC Beast Smiley Happy

• ven98
    Options
    You have to find out to what mini PCIE slot your wifi card is connected x1, x2 or x4. Most likely it is x1 or x2 and it is not worth it because from x2 pcie you will get about 60% from the performance of the GPU. x1 will be even worse.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• IronFly
    Options

there are 3 PCIe lines on your laptop:

PCIe 3.0 is occupied by soldered nVidia GPU (8GT/s)

PCIe 2.0 (5GT/s) by wifi card

PCIe 2.0 (5GT/s) shared by LAN card and Card Reader

nothing else

• DaktoNiektoIný
    Options

In GPU-Z it says its 4x 3.0

• IronFly
    Options
    PCIe 3.0 is occupied by soldered nVidia GPU (8GT/s) is x4 but you can't use it, since the GPU is soldered, no connector available.