Boot to SSD

Options
Goyhaz
Goyhaz Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello to all members

I got a new E15 571G 735D that comes with a 1TB hdd, i have a 120GB sdd that i want to use for the OS placing it on the DVD slot (that is empty by the way). The issue here is how to do it, because from my perspective the recovery process is full automatic and does not seem to let the user choose were to install the OS (the second drive rather then then the original one), and since the laptop is still in waranty opening it and replace the disks is at this point out of the question. So... any thougts on how to pull this one off?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

the quickest way, in my opinion, would be:

1) clone the HDD to an external drive, you can use also the integrated windows tool to create a system image of the whole HDD

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-system-image-create-windows-10-a.html

so in the worst case, you can reset the laptop to factory content;

2) download a vanilla windows version from Microsoft

windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

windows 10

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

create a bootable flash drive using those tools, this to allow you to select the target installation drive;

3) backup your windows product key (guide is for windows 10 but it's ok on windows 8.x too):

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7745-product-key-view-windows-10-a.html

4) once the HDD content is safe on external HDD and you wrote your product key, i would completly erase the HDD, during windows OS installation setup (this to avoid windows boot manager entry conflict), install on the SSD and use the HDD as data storage and programs installation.

5) Acer drivers and applications can be found here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If you choose Ironfly's option 1, you might have to "shrink" your C volume before you make system image.....since you are going to smaller drive.  I'm not 100 percent sure on that.

Additional option is to create factory default USB recovery drive and then disconnect your other drive.  Then use recovery drive.  The recovery drive will have no choice but to install on your SSD since it would be the only drive available. Also be sure to make a backup of your drivers and apps using Acer recovery management software.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

I prefer to do a clean install using vanilla media from microsoft, but everybody has their own personal preference.  If I had a bigger SSD, I might include Acer software too.....but I don't.  I just pick a couple programs from my Acer Drivers and Apps backup DVD (e.g. Cyberlink Power DVD) .. and restore them after the clean vanilla install.

• Goyhaz
    Options

Hi. thanks for the reply

still have a doubt...

the problem i have or better... that i foresee is that the system image was made for drive C: and the future SDD will be assigned as main and i will ask to format and repartition all hard drives... since in the BIOS i will ask to boot from the SDD i hope that the system image will be put on the SDD... or i i have to define it on the image reposition definitions?

• IronFly
    Options

wait, the system image is to restore your laptop to factory default only, so the SSD must be taken out.

Since you laptop is UEFI (BIOS), the first bootable device (after a new installation on SSD) will be automatically assigne to windows boot manager, that will be on the SSD; you don't need to change settings on BIOS; apart enabling F12 to have boot menu option to boot from the USB flash drive to install windows.

• JordanB
    Options

You can also try:

1. Make a factory default recovery USB drive and then put it in a safe place. 

2.  Do a clean vanilla install on your SSD (choose custom install so you can be sure you install vanilla Windows on you SSD. 

3. After vanilla Windows installs on your SSD, use your factory default USB recovery drive and it *should* work on your SSD. So your SSD should have all of your factory Acer software. 

• IronFly
    Options

@jordan: not sure about step 3, since the installation will try to restore partitions size as on default 1TB HDD, so it will fail due low storage size.

• JordanB
    Options

@ironfly

i read the other day where someone had that problem. 

My original factory HDD is 500GB. But my SSD is 250 GB. I used my original USB factory default recovery drive that I made with 500 GB HDD. It worked fine on my SSD. 

But you may be right. In some cases, it may not work.  But if it did work....it might be best option.  If he tried and it doesn't work, he will be back to square 1 and can use diskpart clean on his SSD (if necessary) and then start over and go with different option. 

• JordanB
    Options

Also, I forgot to mention. When I used my original USB factory default recovery drive and used it on my SSD, my recovery drive asked me if I wanted to re-partition....and I clicked "yes, repartition ....."

• Goyhaz
    Options

Well i've got it!

Since the acer was brand new, no major stuff in it i just did a vanilla install from win 10, with the key from the update. I did had to go into the BIOS and change the boot type from UEFI to legacy, to prevent it from going to the sata port 0. Stick the USB on the PC, fresh install and it seems to be working nice. Much faster now. Did also acer care center and the important drivers (card reader, VGA, etc). And i didn't void the warranty because the 1TB HDD is still there on the sata por 0. Let's see where we go from here. Nevertheless i recommend on doing a complete system image just to be on the safe side.

Thank you all for your help and regards from Portugal

• JordanB
    Options

Ok, but just so you are aware, legacy MBR is vulnerable to MBR infections.  It's much safer to keep your UEFI at default.

All you had to do is click "custom install" when you did vanilla install of windows 10.  And then you would have the opportunity to select your SSD as the drive where you wanted to install windows 10.

• IronFly
    Options

as Jordan said, installing using Legacy and MBR is not safe and can also create some glitch on touchpad, VGA.

re-install using UEFI.