Acer Aspire ES1-132-C685 - Ubuntu Installation (Dual Boot/Single OS) Fails. Help?

binarypill
binarypill Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I just got this laptop and I like it because it's very light and easy to carry around. However, I need to have Ubuntu or some flavor of Linux installed in it for programming work.

When I tried to install Ubuntu in a dual boot setup, the installation succeeds. However, it never boots to grub or Ubuntu. Here are some of the bios settings I've tried to fiddle with to no success:

• enable/disable Secure Boot
  • reordered boot ordering so that boot from Windows boot sector is in the last spot
  • enabled the F12 boot selection shortcut. It only shows windows boot.

From other forums, I read that some Acer models allow you to select which UEFI file Secure Boot uses for booting. This is not present in the bios of this machine.

Lastly, I also tried installing Linux as a sole OS. The install succeeded but when I tried to boot, it showed the graphic with the HD and the Magnifier with the text "No Bootable Device".

Help?

Best Answer

• MegaParsec
    MegaParsec Member Posts: 100 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

the goal is copying the bootloader in the Live USB to the ESP partition on your device. Afterwards adding it to the boot menu by the stated command.

On some UEFI devices with apollo lake Linux will only boot if the bootloader is placed in

\EFI\Linux\

but after the installation of Ubunut the bootlaoder is plaecsed in "\EFI\Ubuntu\" by default.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

No pro at Linux and dual booting with uefi format. Just some basics, both OS must be same bit wise-aka: 64bit. Something about partition setup like the order installed? The unified embedded firmware interface (uefi) is quite picky and I'm pretty sure that is where you need to do your homework to get it working. Last I messed with it was Windows 7 and mint on "legacy style" ntfs. They coexisted well and drivers happy- was on a dell mini 11 that loved everything you threw at it, including running hackingtosh just needed more powerful rig. (Mini on shelf collecting dust). Would try a cheap spare drive and/or backup clone original and just get Linux to work, tinker with it, drivers and all- go from there. That way your original system still basically rtr with few minor setup things. Good luck.

• binarypill

Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to have to mess with the UEFI. Right now I'm using a virtual Ubuntu machine. I'm pretty impressed how much this machine can handle! I did upgrade the ram to 6gb though, which I think is the limit.

• binarypill

Thanks @MegaParsec! That looks like what I need. There's a few things I'm not clear about. If I got this right, what you're doing here is copying the contents of the EFI boot parition(?) in the Live USB to the EFI boot partition in the installed OS?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to dive into this but I'll keep reading up on this issue and will update the post.

Thanks again!

• pseudonym
    pseudonym Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

• MegaParsec
    MegaParsec Member Posts: 100 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

the goal is copying the bootloader in the Live USB to the ESP partition on your device. Afterwards adding it to the boot menu by the stated command.

On some UEFI devices with apollo lake Linux will only boot if the bootloader is placed in

\EFI\Linux\

but after the installation of Ubunut the bootlaoder is plaecsed in "\EFI\Ubuntu\" by default.

• binarypill

Thanks for making that clear! I wonder if this works for the dual boot issue as well... Anyway, thanks and your answer makes this "solved"!

• Subho
    Subho Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2018
    I was able to do dual boot of ubuntu 17.04 and windows 10. I installed windows 10 at first. Kept three partitions of HDD. two are for windows 10 (C:\) and ubuntu 17.04 (D:\). The last one is for general use. After that install reFind (see youtube) in windows 10. Then install ubuntu at partition (D:\) (use rufus in gpt partition mode and the partition (D:\) should be splitted into swap, Fat32 efi and ext4 (\) partitions). After installation of ubuntu just restart. the reFind will show boot options. Select ubuntu grubx64. It will run nice. (Sorry for bad english)
  • nexus7
    nexus7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have installed Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire E11.
    But it will not boot from the hard disc.("no bootable device")
    If I plug in the Ubuntu USB stick it will boot to the grub screen, where I choose "Try Ubuntu without installing" - it all works perfectly.
    The MegaParsec answer looks like my solution.
    But as an 'absolute newbie' on Ubuntu, can you please tell me how to do it - step by step?
    Regards
    Mike
  • The_LoudSpeaker
    The_LoudSpeaker Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi,

\EFI\Linux\

Hii There, tried that, copied all the contents from /EFI/ubuntu to /EFI/Linux but, I doesn't shows the ubuntu entry in the boot options. Any Suggestions?