Z5610 mouse cursor jumping

GRC
GRC Member Posts: 2 New User

My 2010-vintage Z5610 (Quad Core Q8200 @ 2.33GHz + Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1) has had the dreaded "jumping cursor" for months now but it has recently become much worse.

During boot I always get a single beep but no error messages.  Then - sometimes - at the <select user> screen the cursor is bouncing around the top edge of the screen.  It will respond to the mouse but always jumps back to the top.  If I manage to log on, the jumps continue, but the touch screen then self-activates with the cursor, as if a fly had landed on it and was walking around.  Icons get moved, objects self-open, and so on.

Normally, a power down and back up again (sometimes 2 or 3 times) fixes it, but today it took 15 attemps before "normal" service resumed.  I booted into Safe Mode but the same problem.  I physically unplugged everything but no change.  When it finally works there are no apparent issues elsewhere (e.g. causing the beep during boot).

The unit is stock apart from a RAM upgrade to 8GB.  Acer Updater says no updates are available and Windows 7 is up to date. I use the standard Z5610 wireless keyboard.  Normally I use a Logitech wireless trackball mouse (Cordless Optical Trackman) but the problem persists with the standard Z5610 wireless mouse or a wired USB mouse. 

Other connections included wired ethernet, external USB DVD drive, USB printer, the stock Acer USB wireless receiver and a Logitech USB wireless receiver for the trackball.

Have I got a rogue driver or a hardware issue?  I've searched this board (all 50 pages!) but couldn't see anything useful.  Google reveals that others have experienced the same problem but none of the suggested solutions (usually based around mouse properties) seem to apply.  If it is amouse issue, is there some sort of conflict between Microsoft Intellipoint, Logitech Setpoint and any generic mouse drivers loaded?

What next?

Thanks.

Answers

• GRC
    GRC Member Posts: 2 New User

Update 1. to above - I did a reboot with logging and have the ntbtlog.txt file available in case it helps, but can't post it because the contents exceed the 20,000 character post limit and I don't see a way to add attachments (but then I am new to this particular forum).

Upate 2. to above (since I've been inundated with replies Smiley LOL) - I'm clearly a plonker because the single beep at startup is apparently the post-boot all-OK signal rather than an error.  Guess it's time to start looking elsewhere for the problem.

GRC

• nyzem
    nyzem Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I'm facing the EXACT same issues where I initially thought it was a virus/malware attack. Not quite sure how to do it but planning to send to the repair centre to get it sorted.

Same year, UK specs, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (MK320).

Sigh. Looking forward for ACER to take initiatives on this matter.

• BrandNewDayD
    BrandNewDayD Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, everyone

I've been having the same issue with the same kind of computer for 2 years now. I've tried everythiing I could find on the internet and still I couldn't fix anything. I also sent the computer to my local authorised service unit, and they said they could not reproduce the issue. Did anyone find any solution to this problem? 

• JRIF
    JRIF Member Posts: 1 New User

Try cleaning your screen of dust.  Worked for me.

This discussion has been closed.