Windows 7 Upgrade options

Options
Philx
Philx Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a windows 7 upgrade kit that I have not used and I have vista recovery discs for my m3800. I now have to replace the MB for that computer and want to know how to go about it. Can I delete the drivers on my computer,  install a new MB and boot up with the HDD that has Vista on it and expect it to boot up and then apply the Win 7 upgrade kit or ???

Thanks in advance

Phil

Best Answer

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    Options

No questions are dumb. (Sorry for the late response, I do this during free time at work)

As to the Bios, yes, you will put the DVD as the first place to boot from (Top of the list).
    Power button will work to reset the computer (Hold it for 10 seconds to completely power down the PC).
    If the recovery disk is an install disk, then yes, you should be able to install it on your SSD with the disk and the Vista number. It wont hurt to try...Worst case, you will have to just get a Win7 install disk and a key to achieve what you are going for. (If the "recovery" disk is only meant to repair an install (which is the intent sometimes with those))

If you end up having to get a win7 install disk, you will be able to just install win 7 directly to the SSD and skip all the vista/upgrade hoop-jumping.....Then again, if you have a key for vista, it might behoove you to ask aquaintances about a true vista install disk (Provided yours isnt)...There are quite a few floating around, and a good key will work with any install disk.

Answers

• Juzzo
    Options

Install new Motherboard.

Load computer with Vista install disk in the drive (As you would a fresh install).

After successful install of Vista, use the Win7 Upgrade.

Remember to backup all your files/pictures/etc.
    Personally, I would use a fresh Harddrive as well and put the old one in a secondary spot, after installing win7 on the new one (As the boot drive) you will still be able to access your files on the old one without any extra work.

• Philx
    Options

Thanks for this. I assume when you say "Vista install disc" that means disc 1 of my recovery discs; that is all I have for Vista as I did not get any Vista install disc with my Acer when I purchased it.  I am planning to transfer Windows 7 to a SSD which I assume would be the same process as you suggest for a new HDD - ie once I have Vista working on the new MB, upgrade to 7 using the SSD as its location.

Phil

• Juzzo
    Options

The upgrade is only going to work on the location o the existing install. So, install vista to the SSD if you intend to have 7 on it.

As to the "Recovery" disks. They may only be repair disks, you can put a disk in now, and see what comes up. Just reset the computer without letting it run. (You follow?) Come to think of it, you will more than likely be prompted for a windows key when installing...Is there one with the Vista disk?

• Philx
    Options

Do I go into the bios and change the boot location to the dvd drive before I insert the recovery disc? I do have a Vista number from the sticker that was on my computer. If I insert the recovery disc and it starts to run I should just press the power button to turn the computer off (is that what you mean by reset?) or do I look for an installation screen or something else? If it prompts me for a Vista number, does that mean I should be OK when I install it on my SSD? Sorry if this seems dumb I just have no experience with this kind of thing.

• Juzzo
    Answer ✓
    Options

No questions are dumb. (Sorry for the late response, I do this during free time at work)

As to the Bios, yes, you will put the DVD as the first place to boot from (Top of the list).
    Power button will work to reset the computer (Hold it for 10 seconds to completely power down the PC).
    If the recovery disk is an install disk, then yes, you should be able to install it on your SSD with the disk and the Vista number. It wont hurt to try...Worst case, you will have to just get a Win7 install disk and a key to achieve what you are going for. (If the "recovery" disk is only meant to repair an install (which is the intent sometimes with those))

If you end up having to get a win7 install disk, you will be able to just install win 7 directly to the SSD and skip all the vista/upgrade hoop-jumping.....Then again, if you have a key for vista, it might behoove you to ask aquaintances about a true vista install disk (Provided yours isnt)...There are quite a few floating around, and a good key will work with any install disk.

• Philx
    Options

Thanks Juzzo; very educational for me; I will follow up on your suggestions. 

Cheers

Phil

This discussion has been closed.