USB stop working after a while

Options
jojoryan
jojoryan Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi everyone.

About 3-6 months after i orderd my Acer Aspire M7720 i began having troble with my USB ports.

I thought it probably was just a temporary problem so i dident think too much about it, and then when i finally moved home (and closer to the store where i brought my computer from, it had closed) so i couldent turn to them to fix my computer.

Anyways, the USB ports do actually work every time i start the computer, however after a while they completly stop working. It cant be anything from 5mins - 4 hours afterwards i've started the computer that they stop working.

When i put in something in the USB port, the computer does not respond or react. This goes for all USB ports all around the computer. However things that are in the USB ports from before does work, if i pull something out from the USB port it still shows up in My Computer, and if i do click on the USB memory i can acess it (even though its not in the computer)

The only thing to make it work again, is to restart the computer. And almost every time this USB thing has happend, the computer takes about 10 - 30mins to restart/shut off, and then there's a blue screen and then it the computer auto restarts.

I dont know if the USB problem has something to do with the Blue screen thing, but i figured its best to mention it.

If i reinstall my Windows the problem goes away for a while, but then 1 week - 2 months later the problem starts again. (Both USB and Blue Screen thing)

I've looked for solutions to this and if anyone else has a similar problem, however the only thing i've found it USB ports not working all together at all.

So, if anyone has the same problem or might have a solution, i'd be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks for letting me take up your time for a while. Smiley Happy

MVH
Johanna

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Sounds like some kind of software fault/issue.  I believe this to be the case as when you reinstall windows it all works fine for a few weeks.

I would guess one of your USB device drivers is causing the problem, can you list all the USB devices you plug into your computer ? There is a nice little program called USBDeview which will list all the devices ever plugged in.  One of them (I would guess) is causing the fault.  You will need to go through the process of elimination to find the device driver causing the problem.

If you download and run Bluescreenview this will show you diagnostic information on the faulty driver causing the BSOD, you can then see about downloading and installing a better (less bugged version) driver.

This discussion has been closed.