System Information sopftware not working

Options
DustyMojave
DustyMojave Member Posts: 13 New User

Having trouble installing softwares like Office on my new AXC-603G desktop. I keep getting a message saying I don't have permission to install to the Program Files folder. "User Accounts" tells me that I AM the Administrator.

So, having found no usable info by searching the internet and the Acer Help and Support and the FAQs here on the forum,  I try to contact Acer Help and Support Chat. That requires having my serial number or SNID to enter. So I learn that to read that, I have to download a software from Acer. Once installed, the directions tell me to look in "Program Files" and open the program. It's NOT in "Program Files", it's in "Program Files X86". So I find it and get the software open. Click on the "Detect System Informatin" button...And nothing happens...Repeatedly.

I'm learning that "frustrate" is a 4-letter word...and it starts with "A".

Why can I not install softwares to Program Files unless it comes from Acer?

Why do I NOT have Administtrator privilege if I OWN the DAMNED computer?

Why does the ACER System Information software NOT work?

I should have paid the extra $$$ and bought the HP on the shelf next to the Acer!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi There,
    Can you post the exact error what you are receiving when you are trying to install any software
  • DustyMojave
    Options

When writing the original post, I tried to include a screenshot, but don't have a software in this machine to put the screenshot into. And to get the exact text now, I would have to try to install a software. I've been so frustrated, I've forgotten the wording of the message now.

I had trouble with installing Adobe Reader (which the factory installed Soluto software tells me is NOT needed to read .pdf files, but the user guide is downloaded as a .pdf and the machine would not open it until I finally got Adobe Reader installed). I still don't know what happened that allowed that to finally install, but it appears to be functioning as I could read the 2 pages of the User Guide.

Then trying to install Office software, I have not succeeded at all. The message is persistent in that. Maybe relevant is that the Office suite I was trying to install is Libre, which is NOT purchased through the Windows App Store. Perhaps Microsoft's hyper-agressive marketing methods make it difficult to install software in a Win8 machine which is not purchased fom their App Store?

Trying to access help via the Acer Help And Support Chat, it required entering the S/N or SNID for the unit to verify that it is still in warranty, which is a requirement for the Support. My last factory built computer from the 90s had it's serial number label inside the back panel of the tower and you had to open up the tower to read it. So since I encountered an Acer page -

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32204

- which told me to download and use their software, I did so. Following the Acer directions, I tried to use the Acer System Information software they tell you to use to get the number. That software just sits there looking stupid and does not respond in any visible way. I found the label on the outside of the case with the S/N and SNID, but If the Acer page had told me to look on the outside of the case, I would have done that 1st.

That issue is what the title of this thread is about, but the issue of trouble installing other softwares is what you're asking about.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hello DustyMojave

If you have the image on your computer, all you need to do is in the "reply" window, click on the little tree icon along the top. This allows you to insert images from your pc/device.

• ajay_1988
    Options
    Just a Quick Question
    1). What Version Of windows are you using
    2). Did you try to restore your system ( as this is first troubleshoot)
  • DustyMojave
    Options

Had no means to save the image of the screen shot. To save it, it must be inserted into a software such as an image software or Word. A screenshot needs to become a .jpg or a .doc or something else of that sort. You cannot "save" a screenshot directly from the clipboard. So it is now gone.

1) Windows 8.1 PITA

2) No I have not tried a Restore. At this point I have no way of knowing if the issue is something not working as it should, or if that's the way MS and Acer intend it to work. I'm trying to research the issue before screwing with things like doing a restore. Acer does not provide a recovery disc, it would have to be an internal recovery system. I've been told that such a "recovery" is not a "full recovery". I need to know for sure that it's broken before I fix it.

• DustyMojave
    Options

The message was something like:

"You do not have permission to save to Program Files. Get permission from the Administrator and try again."

That is not verbatim, but a general recollection of the message I saw repeatedly. The message disappears when you do anything else. So one cannot just leave it there and go back to it later.

• DustyMojave
    Options

Well through fiddling with things, I found that I CAN paste a screenshot to Paint. It wasn't working before because I was using "Shift" with "Insert/Prt Sc" when I should have been using "Fn". Unfamiliar button and with the User Guide not providing any info, I didn't know about that button.

• ajay_1988
    Options
    I would Suggest you to try a System Restore Once and see if your problem gets solved
  • DustyMojave
    Options

Well I suppose it is now a moot point as I have now installed the softwares. I have NO idea what has caused the changine in the machine.

I HAVE NOT done a Restore. I still do not know if the machine was working as it is supposed to or not. Nobody has answered that question yet.

• DustyMojave
    Options

So far in this thread, nobody has answered question #1, 2 or 3 from the original post.

This discussion has been closed.