Shredder.msi Error 1706

lweber89
lweber89 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have started to get dialog messages indicating that the Shredder.msi file is missing.

I have a AX3960-U4102 running Windows 7 (all patches/security updates).

It seems this file is related to the MyWinLocker suite that Acer installs on the machine.

I have gone through the Acer eRecovery Mgmt program in an attempt to "repair" the MyWinLocker suite.

I have gone through a clean boot per the suggestion of Microsoft. 

I am still getting the errors after all of that.

I could use some suggestions on what others have done to solve this problem.

Thanks.

lw

Answers

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Lweb

The Shredder that I got was a preloaded (2008) trial version allowing for a limited number of erasures.  I don't know what happens automatically when the trial runs out.

Are you dealing with the trial version or one that you pruchased?

Leho

• lweber89
    lweber89 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi-

My copy of Shredder looks to be part of the WinLocker Suite that Acer pre-installed.  I kept it on there because I find YoSafe very handy to use.  I can't seem to uninstall just one component of the suite (so ditch Shredder but keep YoSafe).

I used Acer eRecovery (again) to "repair" WinLocker.....so far (for about 4 days now) I have not gotten the message.  I also turned off auto-update services that were running and tied to EgisTech (vendor for WinLocker Suite). 

So I might now have a stable system....but I still feel like there might be an underlying issue.

THanks...

lw

This discussion has been closed.