Please help! Upgrade a Predator G5900

dannyh9
dannyh9 Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi all,

I have decided to bin off the consoles completely and I want to upgrade my pc so that I have a decent gaming rig capable of running the latest games on a decent spec. However I'm not expecting miracles! I tend to play arma, FIFA, total war games etc..

Please could you advise on what I should upgrade. I have a budget of around £200. I was thinking of increasing the ram and upgrading the graphics card. Perhaps a r9 270x?

Would I also need to upgrade the psu? It says it is a 450w lite on.

I'm very new to upgrading pc's so any help would be massively appreciated!

Processor Intel Core i5-650
Processor external bus 200MHz (2.5GT/s DMI)
Processor multiplier x24
Processor clock speed 3.2GHz
Processor socket LGA1156
Memory 4
Memory type PC3-10666
Maximum memory 16GB
Motherboard Acer Predator G5900
Motherboard chipset Intel H57
Ports
USB2 ports (front/rear) 4/8
Firewire ports (front/rear) 0/0
eSATA ports (front/rear) 0/0
Wired network ports 1x 10/100/1000
Wireless networking support none
Internal Expansion
Case midi tower
PCI-E x1 slots (free) 2 (0)
PCI-E x16 slots (free) 1 (0)
Free Serial ATA ports 2
Free memory slots 2
Free 3.5in drive bays 3
Hard Disk
Hard disk model(s) Seagate ST3500418AS
Interface SATA2
Total storage capacity 500GB
Graphics
Graphics card(s) 1.5GB Nvidia GeForce GT 440
Graphics/video ports DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Sound
Sound Realtek HD Audio
Sound outputs 5.1 line out, stereo line out, mic in
Speakers none

Answers

• langsat
    langsat Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    You need to check the power supply that enough for you graphic card. A top graphic card can consumes 200 to 300 watts at max perform and 10 to 20 watts at idle. Just go to the below website and fill up your comp spec and get the watts . Better have at least 50 watts extra in case.
    http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en
  • techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

you should take a look at the specs of the games you want to play first, then when it comes to your system the cpu and ram are fine, the graphic card is okay but it`s on the low end of the specs but will run direct x 12 once it`s released, the PCI express slot is version 2.0, the current version is 3.0, you want to see what available where you are for your board to use that is PCI express 2.0, in the nvidia line up I believe the max chipset on the cards is 600 series, of which is fine, but you will need to upgrade the power supply, safe zone for wattage is around 700-750 just use a good quality power supply ie Corsair for clean consistent power, I would compare your total investment verses a new PC just so you are sure it`s what you want as technology is always changing and is different and not always compatible to older computers.

This discussion has been closed.