GPU issue with M3985

benschrock
benschrock Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all, 

I have a M3985 Aspire desktop with a p01.a2 motherboard. I want to upgrade my gpu to play some games. I bought and succesfully installed an evga 600w power supply. I also bought a gigabyte R7 260x GPU. I put the GPU into the pci-e slot and plugged the power in. The fan turns on but I have no video output to my monitor. When the new GPU is plugged in I also have no output through the integrated GPU. 

When i unplug the new GPU my computer goes back to using the integrated gpu successfully. I thought it may be the card so I exchanged it for another and have the same problem. I searched multiple forums that suggested

a) turning secured boot off  - There is no option for this in the bios

b) turning legacy boot on  - There is no option for this in the bios as well

I updated my bios successfully and still no option for either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Answers

• gerold
    gerold Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I've as many others the same problem with this acer M3985.

I tried Geforce GTX 750  and GtX 750 TI and none of them will work. But they worked on an older HP PC flawless.

I get an ACER screen and every 20 sec a piep and that 4 times and than a black screen and a cursor in the left upper corner and the system stops. One can't enter BIOS with DEL or F12 because the PC gets stuck.

BIOS is upgraded and doesnt show any UEFI option to switch off as many suggest to do.

Acer support can or will not help. Bad luck for us. Try to replace mainboard or get rid of the PC. And don't buy a .... anymore.

good luck

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi.

Try first uninstall drivers for your Integ graohic card, switch off pc, install your graphic card in pc and switch it on.

• gerold
    gerold Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Tom, the PC gets stuck before it has the chance to boot an OS like Windows. Drivers are part of the OS and therefore to uninstall any driver will not help. When starting up and you hit several times the DEL-key to enter the BIOS the PC is already in troubles and you don't get the BIOS screen. regards Gerold
This discussion has been closed.