Computer hangs after installing new graphics card

Options
cmillsap
cmillsap Member Posts: 2 New User

Long story short - I recently bought a new graphics card but when I put it in the computer hangs at the Acer splash screen, the keyboard does not work, it beeps 3 times (short beeps but they are very far apart), and then it goes to a black screen that sometimes has a flashing cursor in the corner.  If I put the old video card back in it works fine. I can't even get into BIOS with the new card installed. The new card works perfectly on my friends computer.

If someone could tell me how/where to post this question properly in the community, I will add all my computer specs.

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Answers

• cmillsap
    cmillsap Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

My computer is an Aspire M3450 running Windows 7.  It has an AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor and a new Corsair CX750 PSU.  The old graphics card, which still works perfectly, is a Nvidia GeForce GT 520M.

The new graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 730.  As I said before, when I plug in this new graphics card the computer turns on, I get to the Acer splash screen and then nothing happens.  I can't get into BIOS because the moment I touch a key on the keyboard the light goes off and it stops registering.  After a few seconds the computer beeps, waits a few seconds and beeps again, then a third time.  Then the screen goes black.  The last time I tried there was a flashing cursor was in the top left corner.  This was not there the times I had tried previously.

I have tried the new card in a different computer and it worked fine. I uninstalled the old video drivers before inserting the new card. I have even tried telling BIOS to use the onboard card while the new card is plugged in.  This works fine and the computer even automatically downloaded and installed the drivers for the new graphics card.  I shut down, went back into BIOS, told it to read the PCI video card instead of the onboard card, and when it restarted after saving the changes it went back to sitting at the splash screen.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Not sure I can help with this one but you could check the following BIOS setting:

'Clock to All DIMM/PCI/PCIE' on the Advanced tab.

It should work when set to either Enabled or Disabled. (Disabled by default) but try enabling it just in case the new card looks 'odd' to the BIOS and it is switching off the clock. (If you are getting one long beep followed by two short beeps then it is a VGA problem or BIOS doesn't detect it. If the latter, and this setting is disabled it will likely switch off the clock anyway.)
    This is really a shot in the dark I'm afraid but you never know.