Aspire XC-605 Video Card Upgrade

Options
pchandra
pchandra Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All,

I recently purchased an Aspire XC-605 and I need some help, so I hope you guys can help me out. It comes with an integrated video card only. I wanted to upgrade the graphics so I purchased an Asus HD 6450 Silent PCIe card. I installed the card and booted the computer and nothing appears on the display no matter which card (either Asus or Integrated) I plug the HDMI cable into.

Not sure how to proceed at this point. I entered in the BIOS to see if I could disable the integrated graphics, but there is no option. I am thinking that maybe it's a power issue? I know nothing of power supplies, but for sure the one included with the system is not a standard size.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help!!

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi pchandra

The video card you have is a low powered card - it needs around 75 watts and takes its power from the PCIe slot, so the power supply of your XC-605 should be sufficient.

There may be an issue with the graphics card. I'd suggest to try the card in a different PC to rule out a problem with it. If it fails to work in the second PC, then the card will need replacing.

If there is no setting in the BIOS, it  usually, automatically adjusts the output, so if you insert a card, it will default to it. Likewise, if you remove it, it should default to onboard graphics.

Try the card in a different PC and let us know how you get on....

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi pchandra

The video card you have is a low powered card - it needs around 75 watts and takes its power from the PCIe slot, so the power supply of your XC-605 should be sufficient.

There may be an issue with the graphics card. I'd suggest to try the card in a different PC to rule out a problem with it. If it fails to work in the second PC, then the card will need replacing.

If there is no setting in the BIOS, it  usually, automatically adjusts the output, so if you insert a card, it will default to it. Likewise, if you remove it, it should default to onboard graphics.

Try the card in a different PC and let us know how you get on....

• pchandra
    pchandra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks so much for your quick response. You were right, the card was defective, I exchanged it and now everything is working fine. Thanks for your help!

Happy new year!

• finlux
    Options
    You're welcome and a happy new year to you too!
  • rdas45
    rdas45 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi Pchandra,

I also just bought my Acer XC 605, i3, 4GB slim form factor. I read your post and wanted to ask how is your computer performing after you installed the Asus HD6450 Silent PCIe Card?

I plan to expand my desktop to tripple display and I found the card you installed has three outputs.

Are you on a single display or multiple display setup?

Also, is it possible to have a dual display setup without the graphic card? As there is a HDMI and VGA port by default. Can I connect two monitors and just expand my desktop display on the default 2 video ports or will I have to upgrade to the ASUS video card?

Cheers!