Aspire X1300 with Vista won't start.

captkaos1947
captkaos1947 Member Posts: 5 New User

When the power cord is hooked up, the blue lights come on, CPU fan is running, and the CD drive will open and close.

The power switch does nothing, and when a disc is inserted it will not run. Any ideas certainly appreciated.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi captkaos1947!

I'm presuming your PC doesn't POST (IE, Boot up to the Acer logo and attempt to load Windows)?

The problem you describe can be one of two things - either a failing power supply or a fault with your motherboard. To rule out a component, you will need to borrow a power supply from another computer (or from a friend) just to test it out. If the PC boots with the borrowed supply, then the mobo is OK, and your original one is at fault. If it still fails to boot, then the motherboard is the problem.

I'm hoping it's the power supply at fault because they're easier & cheaper to resolve - despite the fact the X1300 is a Small Form Factor PC and uses a non-standard power supply.

A trip to your local PC store should be able to help. Let us know how you get on!

• captkaos1947

My question is this: Does the power supply have to be one from the same type computer?  I have a power supply from another computer, but it isn't from the same type computer.

• finlux

Yes & no!

Usually, any power supply will do (providing it is powerful enough for the internal components), but as I've said, the X1300 is a small form factor PC, and their PSU's are much smaller than normal desktop ones. So if you have a small enough supply, then the answer will be yes, otherwise, no!

You can rig up the spare supply just to test. If it still doesn't work, then it's the mobo....

• captkaos1947

I haven't located my spare power supply, but I think it is a 300 watt, so it should be ok.

• finlux
    300 watt should be fine - you probably have a 250 or 300 watt installed in your PC anyway!
This discussion has been closed.