Aspire M3985 Wont Boot

Options
W7ZR
W7ZR Member Posts: 11 New User

Problem is with an Acer Aspire M3985.  3.1G Intel I5 with 10G memory.

Windows 7

The problem does not happen all of the time but maybe 80% of the time.

Pressing the power on.  Power supply, fans, and HDD light come on.  I get 3 short beeps 2 times before the HDD light goes off.  At this point the only thing to do is to hold the power button in and turn system off.  Doing this repeated times will eventually turn the system on.  Goes through POST and boots to Windows 7.  Once the system is on there is never a problem.  If however it needs to restart it virtually never comes back on without repeated attempts.

What I have done.

1.  Tried booting with minimum (keyboard and mouse) attached.

2.  Tried a video card and bypassing the onboard video.

3.  Replaced the power supply.

4.  Removed and reseated all memory cards (3).

5.  Tried with various combinations of memory cards.

6.  Checked BIOS settings

7.  Put the HD (SATA) on a different SATA port

8.  Unplugged HD

9.  Removed all USB devices

10.  Tried to boot to repair disk

11.  Removed CMOS battery and replaced

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi W7ZR

The 3 short beeps could mean a RAM issue, but to be honest, different mobo's/BIOSes can be different!

I'd suggest, to remove all sticks of RAM, except 1. Then test out your PC for a while (even a few days if need be) to see if the problem occurs. If it does take out that stick and try another. If the problem has gone, then add 1 stick at a time (after more testing) to see if the problem resurfaces. If it does, take out the last stick of RAM you inserted - it will be the problematic one!

You may also try running the built in memtest program (see here), but this can take hours to complete, but will advise if your memory is faulty.

If none of the above solves the problem, then try swapping out the power supply. See if you can "borrow" one for a few days, just to test out. Again, if the problem goes away then it will be your power supply at fault.

If it STILL fails to work correctly, then it will be an issue with your motherboard. You can ask at a reputable PC to see if it can be tested.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

• W7ZR
    W7ZR Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

All of the above suggestions were tried.  The problem has been solved.  Re-flashed the BIOS.  Thanks for suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.