Aspire M3985 - BIOS UPGRADE FAIL - Need help !!

Fusionz
Fusionz Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello to the Acer community..

Ok i have a problem..my desktop was performing a BIOS upgrade and the computer was unexpectidly shutdown during the end of the upgrade process so now all i am getting is FOUR Beeps and a black screen..no post screen no logo..nothing, things i have tried so far:

- Ive removed all expansion cards, RAM etc. so ive ruled out other possibilties to my knowledge

- Removing CMOS Battry 

- Clear CMOS Jumper

- PS/2 Keyboard w/ USB AMIBOOT.ROM pressing "Ctrl + Home" still no avail..

Soo i think i am ruled out with 3 options:

- Buy a new BIOS chip and "gamble" my chances and solder the new chip on and hope it works

- Try a USB FDD (Probably will not work)

- OR just buy a new motherboard..

So yea..i am in a bad spot and i need help, anyone got any suggestions on what i should/could do ??

____________________________________________________________________________________________

PC SPECS: 

Intel i5-3350P @ 3.10GHz

AMD Radeon 5770 1GB OC'ed (Original GPU was a AMD 7470 2GB)

2x 4GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

1TB HDD

BIOS - UEFI - American Megatrends - (I beleive the bios version was 'P11-A0 or B0' i wanted to upgrade it to 'P11-B1'

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

USB thumbdrive is FAT or FAT32 formatted?

was BIOS file the only file on USB thumb?

have you tried another VGA?

as far as i know, you don't need to press any key to start BIOS recovery, just plug the USB thumb on the back USB port, power on and it will start the recovery process.

if it doesn't work, EEPROM probably is completly gone and you need to look for a new one.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Fusionz

Yes the usb drive was FAT32 but i do have one concern, the bios file i was provided with on the acer drivers page was a ".CAP", i simply renamed it to AMIBOOT.ROM or should i keep it to AMIBOOT.CAP ??

• IronFly

rename AMIBOOT.ROM is correct but the file to rename, as far as i know must be already with .ROM extension not .CAP

have you tried to download BIOS from Acer support website and rename it?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4240;-;Aspire%20M3985

click on BIOS tab and choose the correct one, the one marked not for upgrades, are for PC with windows 8 from factory.

• Fusionz

I thought so, and yea it comes in a .CAP no .ROM what so ever :/ seems strange and i beleive my BIOS version was P11.B0 not B1 would that make a difference ??

• Fusionz

The only file in the BIOS package that is relevant is the "P11-B1.cap" no .rom :/

• IronFly

so, you have UEFI

have you tried to just rename it AMIBOOT.CAP ?

• Fusionz

ill try that now, i didnt want to mess around with it to much and cause damage

• IronFly

it can't go worse as a bad BIOS flash. Smiley Happy

• Fusionz

Ok i turned the PC on with the "AMIBOOT.CAP" on the USB, i still got the regular 4 beeps and no display, the fans are still working and the HDD light is on the a good 5-10 seconds, how do i know if the USB has done writing to the PC or is even  doing so ???

• IronFly

it will boot to a BIOS recovery screen, so no recovery screen, no luck. Smiley Sad

i don't have any other idea, sorry.

• Fusionz

its alright, well mate thanks for the help anyways ^_^

• IronFly

you welcome. Smiley Happy