Aspire AIO a7600u-ur308 Hard Drive Replacement

erictomlee
erictomlee Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has experience changing the hard drive in these Acer AIOs. We wanted to swap the 5,400 RPM drive for an SSD. I should be able to clone the existing drive without issue.

Is the existing drive inside a 2.5" or 3.5" and I assume we have to pop off the back first.

Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• erictomlee
    Answer ✓

Ok, just to confirm, in case anyone else wants to do the swap. it is confirmed as a 2.5" drive. I did the clone without problem but only after when the original and new clone were both external drives (neither as boot).

The SSD is much more responsive and you didn't need any weird putty knife or spatula or anything. you basically just release some screws on the black plastic part of the back where the chromish logo is and then some screws to remove the drive cover and then the screws that hold the drive on a caddy. You do not have to remove the chrome plastic side mesh parts at all. all in all there's probably like 10-12 little screws.

I put the whole unit face down on a pillow (insert joke here).

Obviously unplug it first. A small dish or two to keep your screws organized would probably help.

I can add some pictures if anyone needs.

If I had to crack it open again I could complete everything in 5-10 minutes but the first time took about 30-45 minutes.

Once you have the back off you can access the ram on the opposite site as the hard drive and after taking off another interior metal plate kind of thing.

That's all - carry on

Answers

• erictomlee

Does anyone know what physical size drive is in an Aspire a7600u-ur308? Is it a 2.5" or a 3.5"

and if anyone has successfully swapped out a drive in one of these and if there's anything i should look out for.

• erictomlee
    Answer ✓

Ok, just to confirm, in case anyone else wants to do the swap. it is confirmed as a 2.5" drive. I did the clone without problem but only after when the original and new clone were both external drives (neither as boot).

The SSD is much more responsive and you didn't need any weird putty knife or spatula or anything. you basically just release some screws on the black plastic part of the back where the chromish logo is and then some screws to remove the drive cover and then the screws that hold the drive on a caddy. You do not have to remove the chrome plastic side mesh parts at all. all in all there's probably like 10-12 little screws.

I put the whole unit face down on a pillow (insert joke here).

Obviously unplug it first. A small dish or two to keep your screws organized would probably help.

I can add some pictures if anyone needs.

If I had to crack it open again I could complete everything in 5-10 minutes but the first time took about 30-45 minutes.

Once you have the back off you can access the ram on the opposite site as the hard drive and after taking off another interior metal plate kind of thing.

That's all - carry on

• ClarkC
    ClarkC Member Posts: 6 New User
    I just got an Aspire ZC-102 and would like to see the photos. I am thinking about installing a SSD, also. Is there room for 2 drives?

Thanks,

ClarkC
This discussion has been closed.