5600U eRecovery

jamie804
jamie804 Member Posts: 6 New User

I am going nuts tring to recover a completely wiped HDD on a 5600U. The software insists I use UEFI mode, but when I do the recovery sofware tells me I MUST boot in Legacy Bios Mode.

I have had a customer patiently waiting for two weeks for this machine!

Please help!!!!

Answers

• tommyrsmith
    tommyrsmith Member Posts: 5 New User
    Welcome to my world. Only the Customer is my wife and have the same problem. I'll trash the Laptop before I Pay for support on Recovery Software I just bought.
  • jamie804
    Exactly! Unbelievable!!
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Did you make the Recommended Factory Recovery Disk? I did and I have tested- it works just fine.... If you did not, then You might fix this way.... go to MS and Download a Genuine iso.... burn to your favorite MEDIA. I use USB to do all mine... but you chose your method. 1. boot to bios and select UEFI 2. turn off Secure Boot. (fast boot) 3. select as 1st Boot Option your MEDIA either DVD or USB. 4. insert your media to proper 5. save and exit. it will REBOOT 6. Your key is embedded into the BIOS so you will not need a key to install.. this will be a CLEAN install, and mostly Generic Microsoft Drivers are installed. when you reboot you should then be Activated as Pre Installed OS version only not crapware. If you want to upgrade then insert your Genuine Key and M$ will upgrade you and then Active you. next go to The Acer Site and DL all the DRIVERS for your specific Acer... ------------------------------ I have also tested this method on more than 1 Acer. and it works...
  • jamie804

Thank you very much for the reply! I have done this exactly as you described and it absolutely works. My client; however, would prefer the machine restored to factory condition.(WHICH HE HAS THE RIGHT TO) I bought the media set from Acer to do just that. But, as I said, the media they provided is conflicted between UEFI mode and Lgacy mode. Each way I attempt to install it, it says it must be done the other. They sent me a second media set because I insisted they must have sent me the wrong media set. It reacts the exact same way. I also have more than one of these exact machines and they do the exact same thing. I have upgraded to the latest BIOS from Acer, still no luck. One of their technicians has to have the answer to this, they simply won't tell you unless you pay them $149.99!!

• Snuffy
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16353842/Acer/1.png notice this picture it show proper sequence for UEFI Acer Recovery... i hope the txt give enough. also make sure you set BIOS to read - UEFI - GPT and CSM to NEVER then set your media to 1st boot HDD to 2n boot. save and then reboot and BIOS again to insure that your set is 100%. if ;yes, then insert media shut down... wait 1 min. restart Computer and Recovery MEdia (should do all and need nothing from you) except read and follow - Acer took about 1 hours, and HP took just over 1hr. both were FACTORY RECOVERY with FACTORY MEDIA. (which I made from Acer and HP as recommended... remember if the CLIENT changes - things he can 99.9% of the TIME (SCREWUP Recovery) also 99% of the time they SCREW up MS Recovery = logo + c = charms -> PC Setting -> Change PC Settings -> update/recovery-> recovery -> you have 3 options. #1 is Refresh #2 Complete Reinstall = should be close to Factory #3 Advanced - to use media for Factory Reinstall
  • jamie804

Are you saying that the HDD has to be partitioned pre-install to match the settings you show? This drive has been completely wiped and re-partitioned. I would assume the Acer recovery disk partitions the disk as necessary.

• Snuffy
    Acer Recovery will re partition correctly if the BIOs is set properly to all boot to. and If the Factory Recovery was made and not corrupted. - it is alwasy best to validate Recovery media is GOOD, special when USB and not let M$ program tell you it is GOOD, i have found many many windows scan that says GOOD, when infact the MEDIA is BAD. (small HDDs, USB media.) hard to check a cd or DVD. but you should clean your DVD R/W priot to making RECOVERY MEDIA... link, fuzz, cat hair, can corrupt a BURN.
  • tommyrsmith
    tommyrsmith Member Posts: 5 New User
    I am reluctant to post the fix as ACRE has tryed to charge me $149 also but as someone who has done this for over 20 yrs. And I know how hard it is to make a living in the business. Hears how you work around the 99% problem. If you are trying to do a factory restore. 1. Wipe the Hard drive NO Partitions!! 2. Go to you BIOS by Pressing F2 at startup. 3. go to "MAIN" under the BIOS menu. 4. use the arrow keys to go down to "SATA Mode" press entere. 5. Change to "IDE Mode" Press F10 to save and exit. 6. Put the Factory Recovery CD / DVD named "System" in the drive and restart the PC. &. On restart Press F12 to enter boot menu and chose CD / DVD. 10. Follow the instructions. use option 3 factory restore. If it does not finsh the install reaches 99% after an hour or so stop the install by holding down the power button. At this point you will need to go to HIREN's web sight and Download Hiern's Boot CD and burn it to a CD Once you have made the CD boot into it as in No. 8 above and Chooses Partition Magic one in Partition Magic you will need to set the system partition to make it boot able. Restart the computer it should boot in to windows i also went in to the BIOS and reset the HD to "SATA Mode" to make it boot faster. Now having said all that I am more than sure that ACER has found a shorter why to work around this. Like some thing else in the BIOS or a start up switch "/a" "/b" etc. But I refuse to pay them more money to tell me how to install the software I just bought from them. The info should have been included with the CD's But times are hard in the industry and they need more revenue streams.. Tommy
This discussion has been closed.