web address bar and window size is too small to see

sandy1862
sandy1862 Member Posts: 5 New User

hello all i just purchase a brand new chromebook model cb5-571-c1dz for my 84 year old father.

We would really like to be able to see the web address bar and the control buttons (ie: -  square and x) in the window. i have searched through all of the settings and nothing makes this bigger. I myself have an hp brand an do not have that issue. Is this acer specific? Please help as i don't want to have to return his chromebook. No one else but acer had a ssd model that i could afford which is what i want.

Answers

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Well, I don't think ChromeOS will allow you to customize this, however, you can install ubuntu onto the computer in which you can change the font & title bar size. here is a tutorial.
  • sandy1862
    Pminer,
    This is a brand spanking new 24 hours old machine so i don't want to change the os. I myself have a hp chromebook and the display is larger than the acer. Maybe changing the size or customizing is brand specific. I already maxed out the font size in settings and that didn't make any difference, you still have to strain to see the minimize, maximize and close window buttons as well as the title bar and everything else. Hopefully someone else has this problem and discovered a fix for it.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hi sandy1862,

First I'm not a Chromebook expert but may be this:

[ctrl]+[shift]+[+]: increase the number of dots

[ctrl]+[shift]+[-]: decrease the number of dots

France
  • sandy1862

Eureka! I have discovered that if you adjust the resolution in settings then all is readable! Easy peasy fix!

• sandy1862

laurent_14 that only increase or decreases or zooms in on the page you are viewing. I'll attach a picture of what i was talking about later

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    just to clarify, CROUTON does not change the OS, it installs ubuntu as a chroot, meaning that it runs with ChromeOS.
  • sandy1862

PMiner

I adjusted the resolution setting in settings and this solved the problem!

Thanks for your suggestion though