random shutdown

Options
jcc455
jcc455 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am not happy with Acer or my Acer C720 Chromebook. I have been plaqued with this device (and the prior device) randomly shutting down. I purchased the C720 in 2014 and from the beginning I've had this problem. Acer has had me send it in three (3) times. The third time was May 11, 2015 where they sent me either a refurbished or a new replacement. While Acer was handling the exchange and I was without a computer I purchased another brand and have been using that one since. The replacement unit had been sitting on my closet floor in the box Acer sent it in. This week I finally opened up the device to give to one of my team members and what a shocker, this one is even worse, won't last 10 minutes without shutting down. So I went to Acer support where their support system won't let me communicate with them because my device shows out of warranty. Seriously dissapointed and frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this issue.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i don't know if this can apply to your device but i remember an old discussion where an user found a loose screw that trigger a microswitch on motherboard.

this microswitch cut off the battery when the back cover is disassemlbed and sometimes behave on the way you described

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • grandpaogee
    grandpaogee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I still have that rebooting problem. LOST CAUSRE. Mine was a year old when it started, tried support,  chat, and forumns, and many of the suggestions. "We want to step in to let you all know that Acer is aggressively working to identify issues related to the Acer C720 Chromebook randomly shutting down" .Wasn't about to spend money on various hardware hoping for a fix, I shouldn't have to spend anything! Didn't realize that a fatal  breakdown would occur before it became outdated! Bought an ASUS which works just fine! They make expensive book ends! Cant say anything positive about the C720, nor will I reccommend Acer products.