Red dots spreading across screen(Acer Chromebook 15

magus
magus Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Red dots spreading across screen of my Acer Chromebook 15 C910-54M1 - like glowing acne. Acer repair says "No trouble found" and sent it back to me malfunctioning. The unit isn't 2 mos old so still under warranty, which is meaningless if their service department returns a device without even attempting to contact the owner and doesn't even acknowledge a problem let alone fix it. Before sending my Chromebook to ACER (after owning it for just a few weeks), I spent half a night and part of the next day with Google Chrome support trying to see if it was a software issue. They were the ones who determined it was a hardware issue due to the fact that POWERWASH did nothing, reinstalling Chrome did nothing, and screen shots showed the red dots BUT if you linked to an external moniter the image was clear.

This is my second Acer chromebook and it will be my last Acer product. Most likely, it will be the last Google/Chrome device I purchase as well. I think I'm going to place this lemon up for sale on Craigslist and do what I should have done to begin with, buy myself a Macbook Pro. Otherwise I'll keep finding myself staring at the malfunctioning "HD" display wondering when and where the next string of dreadful red is going to appearon the maddening screen.

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Answers

• anthonym16
    anthonym16 Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same issue with Acer Service.  My issue is vertical lines through the blue spectrum on the screen of the CB 15 C910.  One day I was on the chromebook and the screen flickers and suddenly the color shifted towards red.  After that, there were verticle lines through any blue on the screen.  IMO, all signs that the LCD or the ribbon from MB to LCD are about to fail.  There are no issues on HDMI out which would rule out software or the video card.  I took a pic of the issue and sent it to tech support and they set up a warranty repair.  I got the laptop back with a slip saying the laptop was tested and no issues were found.  My contact information was provided but apparently they couldn't be bothered to contact me before returning the laptop.  What a waste of my time and $15 to ship the laptop in for repairs.

vertical_lines.jpg

• Ukieman
    Ukieman Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have Acer R13 and using the text editor app (txt) wrote a note, saved it, went to open it later and there were lines of red dots where there should have been characters. Anyone else have this issue? Will someone respond to this problem from Acer or is this just place to vent? Its not worth paying for help to resolve this, CB is out of warranty. Since it just started I'm guessing maybe last Chrome update caused issue. Read so many reviews about all kinds of apps that worked well but got broken after last update. Thanks to whoever does respond with a solution or at least to say they have same issue.