Password not accepted on Chromebook 11

Options
stan5
stan5 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

After some months of satisfactory operation I have been having password trouble. On my own but mostly with help from EarthLink I have changed it several times. Now I have reached the point where it won't accept the most recent password -- which with an Earthlink person I set up Monday and which worked then, but refused to accept the next day. Now EarthLink tells me it must be something wrong with the Chromebook.

This is of course possible but nothing happened between Monday and Tuesday, when the new password was rejected, so it seems pretty unlikely.

I'm a novice at all things computer-wise, btw.  But I'm hoping there may be some way to get at this problem that I can handle. At the very least if I could get the Chromebook to open I could get some good out of online books and a few other things beside

email.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

-- Stan5

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It's not clear what password you are talking about. If the Google account password you use to log in with I'm not sure how Earthlink could help, you need to contact Google for help with that. If it's something like your wifi or email password that's different. Smiley Wink

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stan5
    stan5 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks; the password is (as far as I can see) the only password that matters when opening Chromebook -- I open the lid, get a screen with a doggie (symbol I chose) and a spot to enter a password.

NOW, it happens that the password itself is the same one I use on my desktop to open EarthLink/Internet Explorer for my email, which is why I've been dealing with EarthLink.

But I'm beginning to think that the Chromebook password is independent of all this, and that if I could once open Chromebook and set up a new, different password, that my troubles would be over.

Does this sound likely, and can you suggest how to get into Chromebook past the password barrier?

Tnx agn -- Stan5

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Your Chromebook uses the password associated with your Google account. It's pretty likely that you used your Earthlink email as the user ID for your Google account though. Log into Google through their home page and have them do a password reset if yours doesn't work. Once the password has been reset you'll be able to use the new one on the Chromebook, as long as it's connected to the internet.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.