I just bought a Brother L2305W AirPrint compatible laser printer.

Options
Desertshores
Desertshores Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I just bought a Brother L2305W AirPrint compatible laser printer.  It connected with my Netgear N600 router.  My Dell, my IPad Air and my Android phone see the network, printer.  All print to it with no problems.   My Acer C710 Chromebook does not see the Brother printer.

I have read and gone over the instructions from Brother and Chromebook many times, but the utilities never find the brother printer.  The Chromebook will only print to a PDF file.  I feel that I must be missing some piece of info because both the Chromebook and printer seemt to be working fine.  Any help or insight please!

Best Answer

• Desertshores

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I finally solved the problem.  I had to register the printer from a Microsoft Windows computer.  Google browser where you normally register a Cloud Print printer (settings, advanced settings, Google Cloud Print,manage), still did not see the printer even though Microsoft Windows 10 and IE Explorer saw the Brother printer as the default printer. First I made sure I was logged into my Google account.  Still did not see the printer on Google Chrome.  Then I went to https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#  clicked on the "Try it Now"  tab.  Voila!  First time anything named "Chrome" saw the printer.  I selected the printer and now the wireless printer is working on all of my devices.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Desertshores,

I'm not intimately familiar with the Brother printer, but it sounds like it's cloud ready which is the first step. They should provide instructions on how to set cloud printing up (assuming this wasn't what you did to get your other device printing). From there, you'll use your Google account to add printers to. Here are instructions from Google's support: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1069693?hl=en

Here is an article that we have that goes into other options as well: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10397

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Desertshores

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.  I had already done the things you suggested.

The reason they don't work is because you can't add a printer it (Chromebook) doesn't see.

My Microsoft laptop and IPad air list the printers they can see and I was able to make the Brother wireless printer the default printer on both machines.  The point is: The Acer Chromebook C710 NEVER sees the Brother Wireless's printer on the network.  Every other computing device I own, including two old Android phones saw the printer as soon as soon as it was wirelessly connected to the network.  I contacted Brother printer support and they were very nice, but basically offered the instructions you did.  I found another reviewer on Amazon that had the same printer and Acer C710.  He was never able to make the printer work with the C710.  He finally concluded the  Brother printer was not compatible with the C710.    I would like to know if any forum members are using an Acer Chromebook with a Brother wireless AirPrint compatible laser printer.

• Desertshores

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

I finally solved the problem.  I had to register the printer from a Microsoft Windows computer.  Google browser where you normally register a Cloud Print printer (settings, advanced settings, Google Cloud Print,manage), still did not see the printer even though Microsoft Windows 10 and IE Explorer saw the Brother printer as the default printer. First I made sure I was logged into my Google account.  Still did not see the printer on Google Chrome.  Then I went to https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#  clicked on the "Try it Now"  tab.  Voila!  First time anything named "Chrome" saw the printer.  I selected the printer and now the wireless printer is working on all of my devices.