Chromebook home page has been hijacked by Yahoo

myndor
myndor Member Posts: 3 New User

I am new to the ACER community, my name is John, hi, I need your help with the opening browser page of my Chromebooks.

I have 2 x Chromebooks, an ACER Chromebook C720 and a ACER Chromebook 13.

When opening up the the homepage from start I am taken to the Yahoo UK web page. The address of the page is shown as https://uk.yahoo.com/?fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl

The ?fr=type&type=avastbcl is greyed out.

The second tab takes me to my prefered web browser Google. I have tried all types of forums and web pages for advice on achieving Google as my opening page.

I have deleted Yahoo from settings via manage search engines and ticked the box Show home button and selected Google.

Before I purchased the second Chromebook (ACER Chromebook 13) I had an ACER Chromebook C720 and laptop with Windows 7 to which I installed Avast software, the laptop became unstable and would not connect to the internet. I decided to abandon Windows altogether and purchased another ACER Chromebook, this time a 13.

As well as the Yahoo opening page I am finding the same internet connection problems with the 2 Chromebooks and get messages saying the web page is not available and check my internet connection.

The internet connection is functioning perfectly and supporting TV and phones.

Before I give up can anybody help.

Thanks for reading this saga, John

as well as the Yahoo

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There are some thhings that will install other junk if you're not paying attention.Go into chrome's addons/extensions and disable or remove the yahoo stuff.

In Google Chrome under settings you will see an option that says on startup, and below it is 3 options. Select open a specific page, and then click set pages to see if it already has an option entered. If not try entering google.com, and see if that solves your issue.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi John,

Chromebooks are great because of how easy they are to reset. Try powerwashing the device and starting over. Backup any locally stored data as it will be erased.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• myndor

Thank you for your advice, as suggested I Powerwashed both Chromebooks. Still when I power up I get https://uk.yahoo.com/?fr=hp-avast&type=avastbcl Not sure what to do, help please.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There are some thhings that will install other junk if you're not paying attention.Go into chrome's addons/extensions and disable or remove the yahoo stuff.

In Google Chrome under settings you will see an option that says on startup, and below it is 3 options. Select open a specific page, and then click set pages to see if it already has an option entered. If not try entering google.com, and see if that solves your issue.

• myndor

Thank you, solved, all opening up as it should do!