C740 Chromebook 11 Display Distortion

Hanmonger
Hanmonger Member Posts: 4 New User

I am having an issue with this particular model and aftermarket displays. I have been able to verify the issue on about 40 Acer C740 machines. As part of a school program, students were issued this model Chromebook and frequently break the displays. I have ordered several different "compatible" replacement screens. I have found the screen that was shipped with this machine originally (N116BGE-EA2 Rev.C1) works without issue. However, any of the "compatible" screens do not work. I have tried N116BGE-EA2 Rev.C2 and C3, N116BGE-E32 Rev.C1 none of which work. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the exact orignal screen anymore and I can only find compatible replacements. 

As a test, I noticed if I pull the M.2 drive and attempt to boot, I do not get any video distortion. I have installed a blank M.2 drive, and at the point of restoring ChromeOS(fromUSB) the video distortion shows up (does not show prior to the verification step of the OS installation). This leads me to beleive the issue actually resides in the software and not the hardware, as the issue only shows when booting from an installed ChromeOS for this model. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there a recommended fix? The only fix I found so far is to source model N116BGE-EA2 Rev.C1 displays (but I can no longer find this model). 

Best Answer

• Hanmonger
    Answer ✓

I was able to locate a solution, although this solution might not work for everyone. 

I just started ordering replacement screens from Acer directly. You should refer to the service manual for the Acer part number for your model. 

C740 LCD Module: KL.1160D.012

From my experience the C740-C4PE will only accomidate the screen model N116BGE-EA2 rev.C1

Answers

• Hanmonger

Model in question is a C740-C4PE ZHN

• Hanmonger

Am I the only one who has experienced this issue?

• iscott
    iscott Member Posts: 1 New User

We just started getting this issue as well and was wondering if anyone else had figured out a solution.  Currently we are thinking about pulling screens from the C720s we have in stock since the Rev C03 screens work on them with no issues and keeping those for the C740s.

• Hanmonger
    Answer ✓

I was able to locate a solution, although this solution might not work for everyone. 

I just started ordering replacement screens from Acer directly. You should refer to the service manual for the Acer part number for your model. 

C740 LCD Module: KL.1160D.012

From my experience the C740-C4PE will only accomidate the screen model N116BGE-EA2 rev.C1