C710 does not properly reboot/resume from sleep.

tunablesteak
tunablesteak Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a C710 2856 that shuts down immediately rather than resuming after restating or from sleep. Anytime I restart, everything closes and the screen goes black as it should, but turns off rather than rebooting. When resuming from sleep, it turns on for a couple seconds, then shuts off. I've reset my Chrombook and even reinstalled the OS to a clean slate, but the problem continues. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

If you've successfully restored the Chrome OS image, it doesn't sound like the hardware is bad or I would have suspected it to fail during that process as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas based on the information provided and I might suggest contacting your local support team.

• wavecepter56
    wavecepter56 Member Posts: 9 New User

I also own a C710-2856. Mine came from Groupon,  so I've already taken it apart since it was only came with a 90 day warrenty. If you don't mind opening the back up, it could not hurt to try the following. This is taken directly from BedfordITguy, ACER C7 Failure rate with solution 02-07-2014 11:20AM:

"Our school district purchased 418 chromebooks, and out of 418, so far 34 of them come up with "chrome os is missing or damaged". We sent some back for replacement until one of our kids dropped one, which caused the error to come up. After disassembling the C7, I noticed a little chip popped out (TPM), and the SSD drive cable wasn't completely seated, and the clip for the ssd cable wasnt pressed in all the way. I took apart all of the chromebooks that we were sending back with the same error, here is what i found, and the solutions:

Remember to unplug the chromebook and disconnect the battery before doing anything.

1. The TPM module has a foam pad that holds the TPM module in place while the bottom cover it on it, the foam pad is placed off-center of the socket, which will cause it to disconnect when pressure is put in that general area with the cover on, so I moved the pad, and reseated the module.

2. The SSD Cable that connects to the motherboard moves around when the chromebook is shifted or bumped, if this happens a little bit every day, eventually the cable will come loose. To fix this, un-clip the black clip from the socket a little bit, reseat the cable all the way up to the black line on the ribbon cable, then press the clip back on. Then put some tape over the clip and cable to hold them together.

This fixed 32 of 34 systems that were put in our repair depot.

It seems to me that a little more care could be put into the assembly. I hope acer reads this and corrects the problem."

Since your only other answer was from an ACER technician, Acer-Cory, you might want to "open er up!" and see if everthing is connected properly. It can't be any worse than what's going on now, and may solve your problem! Good Luck! 

• amerist
    amerist Member Posts: 1 New User

My Chromebook (also C710) will not wake from sleep since sometime this summer.  The two blue lights come on but the screen is black.  It also won't restart normally.  I have to power it off by pressing and holding the power button to get it to power cycle.  The third and most annoying thing is that it will randomly power itself on when it is completely 100% off and then not go to sleep so it kills the battery or if I leave it plugged in I may find it days or weeks later (I don't use it often) with the fan running full bore and laptop is scorching hot.  I've had to resort to pulling the battery whenever I'm not going to use it, instead of leaving it on the charger.