C710 cursor won't display

Options
jmfunk87
jmfunk87 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Cursor was showing up fine yesterday - today it is not. I rebooted, no luck. Tried FN F7 - no luck. Plugged in a USB mouse and the curosr appears! But still cannot move it with the touchpad. If I unplub the USB mouse, the cursor disappears again.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi jmfunk87,

I'm not aware of any keyboard shortcut that would disable the touchpad. I would probably suggest starting with a powerwash. This is probably the quickest way to identify if the touchpad is somehow disabled in the OS or if there is a potentially bigger issue.

Here is the FAQ to preform a powerwash: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• jmfunk87
    Options

Still no luck after the Powerwash. Guess it is a hardware issue and just stuck with a USB mouse till it finally keels over. Thanks for the reply, though.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Sounds as if there might be a hardware issue with the touchpad then... Contact Acer support for a warranty repair.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jmfunk87
    Options

Out of warranty - so just biding time until it becomes a boat anchor. Thanks for the recommendation - have used the repair process twice before under warranty - works well.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Out of warranty means there will come a time where you either junk it or open it up to try repairs yourself. I'm betting the issue is in the cable between the touchpad and the motherboard. It's either come loose or it has broken. Look into online info for opening the case and replacement parts.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jmfunk87
    Options

Great idea - will give that a go.

• gilg123
    gilg123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Did you ever find a solution to this problem.  I have the same issue

• jmfunk87
    Options

Nope - just use a USB mouse all of the time. Never did crack it open to check the connection though. Or at least I don't remember doing that. Might have and saw that it wasn't easy to get to or check - really don't remember. Been more than a year go. Bought another laptop and rarely use the Chromebook now. 

• MJKaldenberg
    MJKaldenberg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    We have this problem with our school machines from time to time.  Fix is simple.  Open bottom, take out the battery, remove the touchpad cable from touchpad and mainboard.  Clean the contacts with an eraser (like we old folks used to do with slot cars).  Reverse process.  Done.