Acer R11 Not Updating to Chrome OS Version 55

hokiefyd
hokiefyd Member Posts: 4 New User

Chrome OS Version 55 has been out for all Chrome OS devices, according to this link, since December 9, 2016.  My R11 is still on Version 54.0.2840.101 and will not update to Version 55, even using the manual update.  Our other Chrome OS devices (not Acer R11 machines) have all updated.

Is there a known constraint keeping the R11 from updating to the latest version of Chrome OS, or is my particular unit one of the few (or the only) not updating?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Jason

Answers

• madandp
    madandp Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem. The funny thing is, the R11 isn't even listed in https://cros-omahaproxy.appspot.com/ anymore...

• hokiefyd

That's interesting.  I've read from various places about the R11 having update issues on past releases, and sometimes even Chrome OS delaying updates for the R11 for a cycle or so to apparently work through a bug or two.  I certainly don't have any angst with that (getting it right), but Chrome has not put any caveats on the latest v55 releases indicating that, so that leaves me curious why the R11 apparently isn't updating.

I'm glad to know (I guess...) that mine isn't the only one like this...

• Mario3
    Mario3 Member Posts: 1 New User

The same, Acer R11 OS 54, update to 55 is not available.

• hokiefyd

For what it's worth, I have posted this on Google's Chrome OS forum.  I will cross-post any response from Google I receive there, here.

• hokiefyd

Some folks on the Google Chrome OS forum stated that Chromebooks with ARC support (for Google Play) will sometimes take longer to update if issues arise for those particular models.  Some with an Asus Flip noted that his machine was still on version 54 as well.  As it happens, my R11 updated to version 55 today, and it did it automatically; I didn't have to manually poll for an update.  It appears these systems will just take a bit longer, despite Google's generic broadcast that all systems are promoted to the current version on a certain date.

• Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 2 New User

I believe that the small handful of Chromebooks that support Google Play Store will be updated somewhat behind the others, whether it's Dev, Beta, or Stable channel. A version of Chrome OS that broadly supports Google Play Store should become the norm soon. Then the release lag won't be necessary.

• UnclePen
    UnclePen Member Posts: 1 New User

It's March 2017 and my new r11 isn't updating past version 52...what gives?

• Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 2 New User

Try a Powerwash. My Asus Chromebook Flip is at Version 56.0.2924.110 as of a couple of weeks ago. Powerwash will restore all personalization within less than ten minutes of logging back in, and it should give you the latest OS version available for Acer R11.