Acer Chromebook R13 Touch not working

miller42
miller42 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Our school district distributed 300 or these chromebooks.

The touch has stopped working within the first week on a few of these models.

Has anyone had this issue or know of a solution for this?

Best Answer

• Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

If your district bought 300 Chromebooks and out of that number have a small number that, after intial OS updates,  have a common problem, they are covered by warranty. The solution is replacement. 

Don't waste time here.  Contact the seller.  If you can't get immediate warranty exchange, then call Acer support.

mmiller42 wrote:

Answers

• Pssst3
    Answer ✓

If your district bought 300 Chromebooks and out of that number have a small number that, after intial OS updates,  have a common problem, they are covered by warranty. The solution is replacement. 

Don't waste time here.  Contact the seller.  If you can't get immediate warranty exchange, then call Acer support.

mmiller42 wrote:

• Ismael7
    Ismael7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello

I have the same problem as stated above - with the exception that I don't have the option of warranty. I need another solution. Can anyone help me with this?
  • CliffD
    CliffD Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm in the same position as Ismael7. I've had my R13 since it was released, so warranty is not an option. Is there any way to get the screen replaced?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If the touchscreen is otherwise working OK, you probably only need to replace the lcd flex cable which sometimes fails in the hinge area from opening/closing the lid too much. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jeff_p
    jeff_p Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    JackE said:
    If the touchscreen is otherwise working OK, you probably only need to replace the lcd flex cable which sometimes fails in the hinge area from opening/closing the lid too much. Jack E/NJ
    Is there a part I can order for this ribbon cable? Screen works fine except doesn't respond to any touch. Thanks,
  • Boomer64
    Boomer64 Member Posts: 3 New User
    an the ICD flex cable be replaced by myself

• RubyMatrix
    RubyMatrix Member Posts: 2 New User
    my screen stops working in the uppermost inch.
    i cant click or tap there and the only way ive found out to temorarily fix it is to sign out and sign back in
    if anyone knows how to fix this please tell me
    i could use help
  • JackE
    RubyMatrix  >>>the only way ive found out to temorarily fix it is to sign out and sign back in>>>

This definitely should be fixable with a power wash re-set. Follow these tips https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183084?hl=en

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RubyMatrix
    RubyMatrix Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2019
    JackE
    that wont help me because i cant bvack up a lot of my files
    id have to get more space in drive and i cant afford it :(

is there another way because it only happens like once every two or so months so its not that frequnet
    and i have a lot of files
  • JackE
    RubyMatrixWhat do you mean not enough space? You shouldn't have that many files on the internal chromebook drive --- not enough space on the internal drive. Most of them should be on google drive which is already backed up on google's web facilities, not actually on your chromebook drive.  All you need is an inexpensive USB thumbdrive or SD card to copy the files off this internal drive. But you have to know what folders you've stored them in. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• StewB
    StewB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, not sure whether people have found a resolution to this problem but I have been experiencing the same issues. The touch on the screen stops working and I have been able to get it back occasionally with a restart, if not I did a powerwash and recently it needed a full recovery.
    A week later it stopped again.
    I have been on the chrome site, they have a job registered as no. 1068830 for this but this ceased updating on 5th May 2020.
    I had started to believe it was a hardware problem however today I changed the channel from stable to beta and it is back working, instantly. So definitely a software/OS issue which may have been resolved in the beta version of the OS.
    May be worth people trying first as this has not had an effect on the data held on the machine which happens with a powerwash.
    I just hope it stays like this.
  • StewB
    StewB Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2020
    Hi, spoke too soon, stopped working again today, just as instantly as it had started. Can't believe it wasn't the solution as it worked as soon as I changed the channel. Still trawling for a solution.
  • Pssst3
    There are 4 things that could be wrong, the hardware configuration (BIOS), the installed software (extensions and Chrome apps), and
    the OS update software.  Lastly, the touchscreen itself (unlikely). 

First try doing a hardware reset. Power down then hold down refresh and tap power. Repeat this twice.  This defaults the BIOS.

Second, try a browser reset settings .  Chrome browser, settings, advanced, reset settings.  This disables all extensions and rewrites the user profile settings to their defaults.  The user settings are unlikely to be the problem, but starting with an out-of-the-box configuration and adding things in tine at a time is better troubleshooting technique than disabling things one at a time. 

Last try a System reset/Powerwash. Remove any extSD card. Unplug all storage peripherals. Copy the contents of your "Downloads" folder to Drive.   System tray,  settings, advanced, reset settings