Acer Chromebook R13 CB5-312T-K1TR Phantom screen touches

Options
AlanBry
AlanBry Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have a R13 that is suffering from phantom screen touches. This is the second one of these that has suffered this, the first went back to PC world & was exchanged. The second one was OK for a few weeks & now its started again (well a month or so ago)

Example.

Open chrome, go to images & find a selection of pictures. While not touching the screen/touchpad the phantom touches will select random pictures/links or scroll up/down on the page.

Also if using the touchscreen it doesnt register where the touch is but will touch somewhere else on the screen.

This happens in games, apps, browsers etc. It doesnt happen all the time but often enough to be an issue. Not very happy with a £400 Chromebook that becomes unusable and requires a reboot up to 15 times or more a day.

Fully upto date, using the Beta version so I can use Android apps.

I do have some video footage of this happening.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Alan

Answers

• Camerc
    Camerc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

All that I see for this type of problem is:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/2766492?hl=en&source=genius-rts&vid=0-1062929946642-1503618238140

along with an Asus Chromebook user saying that he can reset the screen by closing and opening the lid.

This issue is of interest to me because I just got an R13 (CB5-312T-K8V3) and the second day I used it (today) had a ghost touch problem occur that stopped after I rebooted. Contacted the Acer Support hotline (I've had touch screen device failures before) and they just said wait and see if it happens again, and that they had no info on such a problem with my model!

• crope
    crope Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I suffer just same problem, R13 Chromebook with Beta and all updates. Problem has been there always and I have been waiting almost one year software update to fix it. Work-around is just to close and open lid, but it is very annoying...
    I am about to send my laptop to warranty repair, but I am not sure if it helps as it sounds like a software problem (as it can be fixed temporarily by rebooting machine). Is there anyone who could say if it can be repaired by replacing faulty hardware, touchscreen?

• AlanBry
    AlanBry Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    Apologies for not getting back to this sooner.
    The problem still occurs on the R13 but its less of a problem and seems a lot less frequent at the moment.
    we have 2 R13's. 1 is mine and works fine ( I generally use mine in laptop mode) the other belongs to my wife and she's the one with the problem when using it in tablet or tent mode.

Crope
    I very much doubt this is a hardware fault but more of a software issue with beta.
    We cant replicate the issue after power wash/factory reset but only with beta installed.