Acer Chromebook CB3-111-C670 Wireless Problem

jimbo98
jimbo98 Member Posts: 4 New User

I've got a Chromebook that drops all interent connectivity at random times. When I reboot everything is there and working. Seems to happen every 15 to 30 minutes. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing - checking email/a drive doc/opening a new tab in the browser, etc...happens no matter what I'm doing. 

When I lose internet connectivity the wifi is turned on and I don't see any SSIDs (wireless networks at all). I can't seem to get the Chromebook to see the wireless network that I was connected to again - no matter what I try until I reboot. Then wifi is on, I see all the wireless networks just fine, and I connect to the one I want. It's not the wireless networks as many other machines are NOT losing connectivity to the same SSID - just this one device. This happens at work and at home so it's gotta be something on the device. I powerwashed the device to no avail. I completely recovered the operating system using a usb stick to no avail. I don't think I have any other software options available.

Any ideas??????????? I don't want to just throw away the machine. It worked fantastically up until 3 days ago when this started happening everywhere.

Answers

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

So this happens to all wireless networks you connect to? or just your home network?

if it is just one network, i suspect it may be a problem with the Ghz of the network.

• jimbo98

home and work. It's not the wireless network - other devices on right next to me as I can't get on.

Someone just told me to try a wireless dongle. Was told most Chromebooks will take one. I'm going to look for one I can use on this Acer and see if that's an easy, cost-effective workaround.

• PMiner
    Here is an inexpensive and powerful wif dongle. I have had a great experience with this device. I will test it on a Chromebook later, and update this post.
  • jimbo98

Looks like a good one. I tried a different one and it didn't work. Can you let me know if this one does????? That way I don't have to buy it to find out.

• PMiner
    I can't tell if it works on my chromebook, because there is not indication of external wifi chips in ChromeOS to my knowledge. ChomeOS may not support external Wifi.
  • Alina1
    Alina1 Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having the same problem with the same exact device for months! Did you happpen to figure out how to fix it? I have 2, the other is Acer Chromebook Cb3-111-8UD something of that sort and it works perfectly... MFG is in October 2015...  so idk what the problem is but it's frustrating 

• jimbo98

I did fix it. I opened up the device and reseated the little wireless card. I've had it happen 1 more time since then and I reseated it again, but that's it. So...it's been over a month and it does seem to have taken care of the problem. I just watched a video on YouTube on how to dismantle the device. It was real easy and only took about 5 minutes. I only had to go 2 steps into the hardware to reseat the wireless card - I took off the back and undid the keyboard. Then I reseated the wirless card and put it all back together.

That's what has worked for me.

• Alina1
    Alina1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Great!! I will try this.Thank you!