Acer Chromebook C720 won't power on

andersond
andersond Member Posts: 2 New User

I have 200 Acer C720 Chromebooks and this is the first problem like this. When plugged in, the blue light on the front comes on saying it is charged but when I try to turn it on--nothing happens.

I have tried the esc, restart and power button--nothing happens,

I have tried holding the power button down for 30 seconds--nothing happens.

I have looked at the screen connections--they look fine.

I hear no fan, nothing.

Of course, the laptop is not in warranty. Any ideas??

Thanks so much for any help. Dianne

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Sure sounds like either the main board has gone south or the power connection to the main board is bad. Can you verify there is power to the board? I can't remember if the power comes directly in or through a small daughter card...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andersond
    andersond Member Posts: 2 New User

How would I verify how the power is coming into the main board? Is the chromebook worth fixing or should I just get a new one? Thanks.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If you are unsure of how to test for power input into the main board, it's likely not something you will want to attempt on your own. You would have to disassemble the computer and then power it up while putting a meter at appropriate locations. Relatively easy for a computer hardware geek, no so much for the general populace. Deciding on trying to fix vs. replacing with a new unit is pretty much a cost decision... Figure a technician is liable to charge $50-200 for a repair if it's somewhere between reconnecting the wires and resolding the connector. It might be worth having someone look at it for you to see if it's cheaper to fix than to replace.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.