Acer Chromebook 14 will not enter recovery mode

Options
Flibbib
Flibbib Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi guys. After having Google on the phone (who were brilliant, but didn't resolve it) I was told to contact Acer. After being hung up on when the guy clearly had no idea what a chromebook is, I've resorted to this.

I've got a brand new Acer Chromebook 14 (CB3-431-C69V, Celeron N3060 / 2GB) and need to get it into developer mode. I genuinely need to do this and know my way around it, and have done it on previous chromeos systems. 

The key combination does not put the device into recovery mode (Esc+Refresh+Pwr). If I press the combo really quick, as in tap the buttons, the device just does a normal restart.

I am currently on Chromeos 59 (tried 60 too), and attempted all the steps below both logged in and logged out, and on all Chromeos channels:

Hold Esc+Refresh and tap power
Hold all three
Tap all three
Tried from off state
Tried from on state

This is really annoying now as there is no other way into developer mode. I have also done a hardware test on the keyboard and all keys are functioning perfectly so this is ruled out.

If I can't get this to work then I'm going to just have to send it back, a shame really because the design of this book is lovely. One last thing, if I press the key combo and the system doesn't restart, the system just goes into a black screen with the power LED staying lit and needs to be hard reset to bring back on.

Answers

• Flibbib
    Flibbib Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Also forgot to mention, there are no restrictions or policies set on the device as I've checked all of that, and done multiple powerwashes both between channel switching and at random points to see if it resolves the issue.

• PeterXK
    PeterXK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same issue with an Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431-C5EX, same EXACT issue quite literally. Nothing works that I have tried, manual says nothing, and noone responded to this. Acer support didn't do ***** for me either so idk.
  • Kellina
    Kellina Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Me too same story. Ditto everything. Any solution?