Acer Chromebook 14 printing with HP Photosmart 6525

jpb4ac
jpb4ac Member Posts: 2 New User

I am trying to configure an ACER Chromebook 14 for printing with the HP Photosmart 6525 I have been using with my Windows computers. So far I have been able to print using HPePrint but I would like to print using Google Cloud Print. While I have been able to use Google Cloud Print with my Windows 10 computer, I cannot register the 6525 Printer using my Chromebook because the printer does not show as a new device in the Chrome browser settings (settings/advanced settings/Google Cloud Print/manage). The HP support site seems to indicate that the Photosmart 6525 can work with Google Cloud Print but it seems that this is only with Windows computers, not with Chromebooks. Can anyone confirm and if not please explain how I can register the printer with Google Cloud Print using the Chromebook.

Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

Because the rinter doesn't do the network stuff to directly connect to Google Cloud Print you have to register it with the Windows PC. Once it's registered though you can print to it using your Chromebook, as long as your PC is on and connected to the network. That's the standard way to get an older printer working on the cloud, you just end up using the PC as a print server...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jpb4ac
    jpb4ac Member Posts: 2 New User

I understand the process you describe as I have used it in the past but only between computers. In such case, the remote computer has to get the proper printer driver installed. In the case of the Chromebook I don't know that HP has drivers compatible with the Chromebook OS.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

HP doesn't have to do drivers, Google handles that at their end and pushes more generic info down to the Windows PC to send through the normal Windows drivers that HP does provide.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.