ubuntu and reset

lunarush
lunarush Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Has anyone installed ubuntu on their chromebook?  I am looking for a way to install vpn on my acer c720p chromebook and would like to know if anyone has done this with success using ubuntu.  I will be travelling and would like to use open wifi with some security.

Also, factory reset insructions for chromebooks on the web talk about a "refresh" button.  Is there such a button on the acer chromebook?  All I could find was a rerurn to previous button.

Best Answer

• eltonw
    eltonw Member Posts: 23 New User
    Answer ✓

There are two ways of installing linux on a chromebook. One method is via dual-boot, where you eitther boot into the default OS (chrome) at bootup, or into Linux. The other method is using crouton which will allow you to hot-key between linux and chrome without having to reboot. The following is an excellent article on hor to install linux on a chromebook.

Installing linux on a chromebook

At the time of writing (28 April, 2014) you have a choice of various distros that you can install.

You can also follow discussions regarding this subject  HERE. This link discusses the Acer 720, but applies to installing linux on any chromebook.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi..

You have the option to reset your computer using the steps in this weblink  Reinstall Chrome OS
    If you are unable to perform the steps you need to download and create a USB recovery flash drive to restore your Chromebook create a USB recovery flash drive
    You need to follow the steps in the above weblink to reinstall the Chrome OS with a USB Recovery Flash Drive  reinstall the Chrome OS with a USB Recovery Flash Drive

We know that VPN is an important feature for businesses and schools, and Google is working very hard to get this into Chromebooks via future system updates. Support for some VPN implementation is already in place and Google is extending support for more VPNs.

For more information and updates on VPN support, please visit Google's Virtual private network (VPN) support page.

• eltonw
    eltonw Member Posts: 23 New User
    Answer ✓

There are two ways of installing linux on a chromebook. One method is via dual-boot, where you eitther boot into the default OS (chrome) at bootup, or into Linux. The other method is using crouton which will allow you to hot-key between linux and chrome without having to reboot. The following is an excellent article on hor to install linux on a chromebook.

Installing linux on a chromebook

At the time of writing (28 April, 2014) you have a choice of various distros that you can install.

You can also follow discussions regarding this subject  HERE. This link discusses the Acer 720, but applies to installing linux on any chromebook.

• lunarush

Tinkerer

Thanks.  I will follow up.

• lunarush

Tinkerer

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.