how do I enable bluetooth in chromeos on the Acer710

eltonw
eltonw Member Posts: 23 New User

My chromebook is the Acer C710-2490, OS version: PARROT NENE F-D 0845. On the ChromeOS partition, i do not have the bluetooth icon so I cannot pair any bluetooth devices. Yet, once i installed chrubuntu to dual boot, bluetooth support is immediately availabl and usable on the inux partitionSmiley Happy

Obviously, buetooth is supported in the hardware, so how can i enable it on the ChromeOS side,without a dongle? FWIW, no dongle is required to connect bluetooth devices on the Ubuntu (chrubuntu) side.

Surely, this should be / is feasible?  Not having bluetooth support in chromeos on this machine is the only disappointment since I bought it just over a month ago. Smiley Frustrated

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears. If you see "bluetooth icon" in the menu, that means your Chromebook is capable of using Bluetooth devices. If you don't see the "bluetooth icon", that means your device doesn't support Bluetooth devices.

If Bluetooth is supported on your Chromebook, follow these steps:

1. Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
    2. Select your Bluetooth status in the menu that appears.
    3. If Bluetooth is disconnected, click on the disconnected icon to enable, or click Enable Bluetooth in the menu. Your Chromebook will automatically begin scanning for available Bluetooth devices.
    4. Select the device you wish to add from the list of available Bluetooth devices and click Connect.
    5. Follow the instructions on the screen to connect your Bluetooth device.
    • If you're connecting a mouse, no PIN is normally required. If you're prompted for a PIN, enter the PIN for your mouse using your Chrome device's keyboard.
    • If you're connecting a keyboard, enter the randomly generated PIN on the keyboard you wish to pair and press Enter.

• eltonw

vvprad wrote:

click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears. If you see "bluetooth icon" in the menu, that means your Chromebook is capable of using Bluetooth devices. If you don't see the "bluetooth icon", that means your device doesn't support Bluetooth devices.

If Bluetooth is supported on your Chromebook, follow these steps:

1. Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
    2. Select your Bluetooth status in the menu that appears.
    3. If Bluetooth is disconnected, click on the disconnected icon to enable, or click Enable Bluetooth in the menu. Your Chromebook will automatically begin scanning for available Bluetooth devices.
    4. Select the device you wish to add from the list of available Bluetooth devices and click Connect.
    5. Follow the instructions on the screen to connect your Bluetooth device.
    • If you're connecting a mouse, no PIN is normally required. If you're prompted for a PIN, enter the PIN for your mouse using your Chrome device's keyboard.
    • If you're connecting a keyboard, enter the randomly generated PIN on the keyboard you wish to pair and press Enter.

i do not have the bluetooth icon so I cannot pair any bluetooth devices. Yet, once i installed chrubuntu to dual boot, bluetooth support is immediately availabl and usable on the inux partition

It seems that for some reason ACER chose to disable bluetooth in chrome. (WHY??)Smiley Frustrated The support is there ...evinced by the fact that bluetooth works once chrubuntu is installed. I emphasise: on the default (chromeos) side there is no bluetooth icon! Smiley Sad

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Acer C710 doesn't support bluetooth. The new model C720 support bluetooth.

• eltonw

suniljp wrote:

Kindy refer to my original post.

The machine DOES support bluetooth. As I have stated, once I installed chrubuntu (Ubuntu linux for chromebookx). I do have bluetooth and I do not need a dongle. Clearly, the machine does support bluetooth.Smiley Frustrated

As such it is merely a questin of how to enable it in crhomeos. Probaby via an update of the OS or otherwise. I can use bluetooth when I boot over tp the linux (chrubuntu) partition. However, I would prefer to be able to use bluetooth in the default OS.

While I appreciate your willingness to help, your response is incorrect, and is of no help to me.Smiley Sad

Thanks, nevertheless.

cordially

• eltonw

suniljp wrote:

Kindly refer to this: imge Smiley LOL

respecfully....

• eltonw

suniljp wrote:

SOLUTION FOUND in elsewhere in another forum: Smiley Very Happy

For whatever reason, Acer has chosen not to provide bluetooth support on the Acer 710 in the current stable channel.

However, you can get bluetooth enabled in chromeos if you install either the beta (see: image;beta ver. 31

or install from the develoer (unstable) channel as shown here: Developer (unstable) ver. 32

Both have been installed, tested, and verified today: 30 Oct. 2013. N.B. the images have been siighty edited to remove any personal or confidentiai informaton. There have been no other modifications to the original screen captures.

What is somewhat enouraging is that (apprently) Acer will roll out bluetooth support in the stable channel (possibly) a few months from now. Smiley Mad

I trust this information will be of assistance to others facing the same frustrating situation.

• eltonw

FTW, bluetooth support is now available on all chrome channels; Beta, Stable, and Developer. There is ongoing and active inprovement with more devices being constantly added. 

This discussion has been closed.