Unable to creat recovery image for C720

YukiNagato
YukiNagato Member Posts: 4 New User

I'm unable to create a recovery USB image for my C720 Chromebook. If I try from the C720 itself, it hangs at the downloading step.

I tried using the Linux script from Google, but discovered that there's no recovery image for a "PEPPY C6A-V7A-I7S" -- the device hardware ID listed on thr recovery screen.

Searching the internet has been fruitless so far. Has anyone succeeded in creating a USB recovery for the C720?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi YukiNagato,

Can you try on another computer? I'm using a Windows PC but on a Chrome Browser you install the Chromebook Recovery Utility and here you can pick your chromebook out of the list or you can end the model and it will download and create a recovery drive. That drive (USB or flash) will only be available at the recovery drive, personal data will get formatted.

If you want to make sure you've got the right model, you can power up the machine by pressing ESC+Refresh+Power to bring you to white screen with an exclamation point. The model will be listed below.

Here is Google official steps on how to do this process: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

Thanks,
    Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hi YukiNagato,

Can you try on another computer? I'm using a Windows PC but on a Chrome Browser you install the Chromebook Recovery Utility and here you can pick your chromebook out of the list or you can end the model and it will download and create a recovery drive. That drive (USB or flash) will only be available at the recovery drive, personal data will get formatted.

If you want to make sure you've got the right model, you can power up the machine by pressing ESC+Refresh+Power to bring you to white screen with an exclamation point. The model will be listed below.

Here is Google official steps on how to do this process: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

Thanks,
    Cory

• YukiNagato

The Windows tool allowed me to create a generic "Acer C720..." image; however, it didn't have the specific model number of my Chromebook (PEPPY C6A-V7A-I7S).

Are all the Acer C720 recovery images the same?

Someone, somewhere needs to update "the great respository of images in the sky" to include this one.

If something goes wrong, do you think this generic image will get my chromebook back up and running?

Thanks for your help.

• Cory-Acer

Ya, The generic C720 load should work. I don't see one for the specific model you've listed. Could you reboot and do the ESC+Refresh+Power boot and take a picture? It will help me avoid the first question of "are we sure there isn't a typo" Smiley Happy

Thanks,
    Cory

• YukiNagato
  • Cory-Acer

Thanks,

I've been told that the C720 image is the best one to use as Google is trying to move away from the specific model and keep it simple.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• YukiNagato

I can confirm that this image does work for recovery.

• Cory-Acer

Great, glad it works. Thanks for the confirmation as well.

Cory

This discussion has been closed.