Refurb 710 Chromebook, Chrome OS missing or damaged.

Haunted_Toaster
Haunted_Toaster Member Posts: 2 New User

I just picked up one of these from Groupon, finally came in the mail today.  I was eager to turn it on a play with it, but to my surprise I am met with a screen that says "Chrome OS is missing or damaged".  I attempted a recovery following the instuctions on the Chrome OS help page, but I cannot get it to do anything.  I have restarted it, removed the battery, put in the recovery disk...nothing seems to budge.  In my search for a solution I came across a Youtube video by Acer about removing the panel to disconnect and reconect a wire inside that will fix the issue...but I am skeptical to do this since it requires removing a sticker that says the warranty will be voided.  Even though the video claims it will not.  Suggestions?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi..

You may try other recovery steps before reseat the hard drive.

First try to reset Chromebook to factory defaults. Here's weblink : Reset Chromebook

If you unable to reset, you may create a USB recovery flash drive for your Chromebook : USB Recovery

If both the recovery steps fails, you may reseat you hard disk as per instruction in this weblink : Reseat hard disk

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

hi..

You may try other recovery steps before reseat the hard drive.

First try to reset Chromebook to factory defaults. Here's weblink : Reset Chromebook

If you unable to reset, you may create a USB recovery flash drive for your Chromebook : USB Recovery

If both the recovery steps fails, you may reseat you hard disk as per instruction in this weblink : Reseat hard disk

• Haunted_Toaster
    Haunted_Toaster Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the help.  I hadn't tried the first one yet, but it did not work either.  I finally gave in and opened it up, the cable was not fully attached.  Works great now!

This discussion has been closed.