Missing Key on new Chromebook C720

CBUSER
CBUSER Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I bought an Acer Chromebook c720 from Amazon a few months ago.  I was using it one night and the next morning I noticed the up arrow (just under the right shift key) was missing.  I looked under my desk, everywhere and could not find it. The little button -normally covered by the up arrow key- works fine. I believe however the little button could become damaged if not covered by the tiny little up arrow key.  Has this happened to anyone else?

I contacted Acer and they said I have to send the whole CB back to Acer in Texas, delete ID info, etc. just to get an up arrow key.  Then I have to wait ten days for it to be returned after it is received and "fixed."

Has anyone else had this experience?

CBUSER

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

I am sorry to hear that one of your keys fell off your new Chromebook. What you were advised was correct, if you wish to have this repaired it would have to be sent to our repair center and the average turn around time is 7-10 business days.

I can understand how this is an inconvenience, however they key itself cannot be replaced alone because the whole keyboard has to be removed and a replacement keyboard installed.

• CBUSER
    CBUSER Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your reply. Have you thought of making a keyboard with snap-in key ability?

7-10 days as a teacher is a LONG time to wait for such a simple repair.. If you plan for whole classrooms to have these CBs it would be wise to think about

similar self repair options.

I was thinking of going with your CB for my classes and decided the repair time

was a deal breaker.

• kuttles
    kuttles Member Posts: 1 New User

I am reading your post months later, but if you are still having trouble, try this website:

http://www.laptopkey.com/Browsekeys.php#mod

It can help you with other computer keyboards as well. Good luck.

• inkacatkat24
    inkacatkat24 Member Posts: 3 New User
    if someone has this problem, can check https://www.laptopkey.eu/acer/chromebook.html