setup refuses to install win 7 on any partition.

Options
unktim
unktim Member Posts: 12 New User

Acer Desktop Computer Aspire ATC-705-UR58.  Tried to replace win 10 with win 7.  when I tried to choose a partition I got a message:  windows cannot install on partition (1,2,3,4)

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

First of all, create a windows 10 recovery media, so you will be able to factory reset and revert to windows 10 in the worst case.

then you need to set BIOS to Launch CSM/Legacy to be able to boot from a windows 7 installation media:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

and since windows 10 uses GPT partitions, windows 7 is not able to install on them, so you need to wipe completly your HDD/SSD prior to install it.

at windows 7 language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, it will open a command prompt

then

type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean

your HDD will be erased completly

type exit

then continue with your installation

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • unktim
    Options

Thank you very much for your quick resoponse.  I was considering disc wiping as a last resort.  I have a disc wiping utility that came with my old computer back when manufacturers did that sort of thing. I have used it about a dozen times, most recently last months.  It will wipe anything above win XP.  

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.
  • unktim
    Options

ironfly,  I gave a kudo the first time but apparently it didn't go through.  I just did another and it showed 1 briefly and then went back to zero.  I tried again and this time the 1 remained until I hit reply.  If it still doesn't show up let me know.   unktim

• IronFly
    Options
    It's ok, kudos received.