reprogram nvram on a x1700

Options
Scott_
Scott_ Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have an Aspire X1700 that will not boot. It started out booting to the boot normally or run erecovery screen then go to a blue screen ( I didn't get the error code). I removed the hard drive connected it to my laptop via USB ran chckdsk on it and AVG antivirus. I then ran defragged and tested the drive. while chckdsk found and repaired some errors on the disk the physical disk checked out OK and passed all tests. I reinstalled the drive and tried booting. It would get just past the logo screen and stop with a black screen and the mouse pointer showing (the mouse and keyboard were active but the PC would not responde to input). It would not go into safe mode and it has no backups to restore to either. Running the eRecovery utility did nothing. I ran boot-repair from an Ubuntu live dvd and that did not help. I tried resetting the bios to default settings, that did not help. I set the clear nvram setting to yes thinking maybe clearing the nvram might let it reset itsself. it booted two or three times to the same black screen then quit booting to anything. when I turn it on it will flash the dvd and hard drive lights then sit there without starting the moniter. What can I do to rectify this problem?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

You may try system recovery using from hard disk partiton.

During the system recovery process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend you backup your personal data before starting the recovery process.

Please restart the computer, when the Acer logo appears on the screen (As soon as computer powers on), press and hold the the left Alt key and tap the F10 key, If you get the Acer recovery management loaded you may follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with recovery

• Scott_
    Scott_ Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I would love to try that but if you notice in the last staement I said the PC is not activating the display. It is kinda hard to know what the computer is doing without the moniter working also the keyboard and mouse are in active as well. In short I can turn it on but do nothing with it. I need to know how to fix it from a second PC.