my xp-703 motherboard wont recognise a mbr hard drive

Options
ewell-log
ewell-log Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi.

I'm trying to downgrade my Aspire xp-703 windows 8.1 to windows 7 and can't get it to work.

I have turned off secure boot. Windows 7 will only install to a MBR drive, but when I set the drive to MBR (using another computer) this acer will not see the hard drive.

I get the impression, this computer will only recognise GPT drives.

I've even taken a working drive with windows 7 and plugged it in to this computer, and it still wont recognise the drive.

Can anyone offer any advice.

Regards

Clive

Best Answer

• ewell-log
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi All.

Many thanks for all your comments. It's solved. I now have it running Windows 7.

(XC-703) my error in subject line.

I needed win 7 as I have software that won't run in win8 or win10.

It turned out to be an early BIOS. I had P11-B1 which does not have the option "Launch CSM". I had to reinstall win8, so I could run the windows BIOS upgrade as I was unable to boot from any external drive. Upgraded to BIOS version P11-B2. Once I had booted from my win7 (64bit) disk, I could use Shft+F10 to bring up a DOS window and use DISKPART to clean the hard drive.

It then completed the windows 7 installation. I knew it should as Acer provides Win7 drivers.

Again Many Thanks for your help.

Clive

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

do you mean xC-703?

what's your BIOS version?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello Clive, I don't want to say that you can't run Win 7 on your system however I do know seeing that I own a few Bay Trail systems that if your system has a Bay Trail CPU it isn't supported to run Windows 7 unless your RUNNING it in 64bit. So if your software is 32bit, I would say try installing Windows 7 64bit

There are some CPU's that are desigened to run with the software that they were built to run. Some will let them upgrade but not Downgrade. 

I think if you haven't looked at Windows 10 yet and you like the look and feel of Windows 7 I would say your best bet would be 10. It is like the best of 2 worlds, Feels and looks like 7 and 8. Come feeling like 7 if you don't have a touch screen

Here is some information about BayTrail and Acers take in 2014

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-8-1/Looking-to-install-another-operating-system-on-your-Windows-8/td-p/263848

Also for some information about Supported information about different CPU's on the right of the list is the code name for the CPU's if you find the CPU you have and look on this list. It will tell you what is supported and if 64 or 32bit or both are supported....

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?

Hope some of this helps

James

• ewell-log
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi All.

Many thanks for all your comments. It's solved. I now have it running Windows 7.

(XC-703) my error in subject line.

I needed win 7 as I have software that won't run in win8 or win10.

It turned out to be an early BIOS. I had P11-B1 which does not have the option "Launch CSM". I had to reinstall win8, so I could run the windows BIOS upgrade as I was unable to boot from any external drive. Upgraded to BIOS version P11-B2. Once I had booted from my win7 (64bit) disk, I could use Shft+F10 to bring up a DOS window and use DISKPART to clean the hard drive.

It then completed the windows 7 installation. I knew it should as Acer provides Win7 drivers.

Again Many Thanks for your help.

Clive