my TC605 would not start and I tried to do eRecovery with alt F10.

checkchanacer
checkchanacer Member Posts: 17 New User

It tried to load the eRecovery page but get stuck forever. I tried the repair disc and recovery discs(4) but seemed they are not bootable. There is recovery disc on eBay, would it work?

Answers

• checkchanacer

Actually on booting from the disc the screen shows two options: 1. fix startup problem 2. start window normally

Either choice will eventually end up with a pale screen with partial windows picture.

On the reinstall disc sold on eBay it also comes with a hard disk. Has any one used this method and how would it work?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I assume your TC-605 came pre-installed with Windows 7?

Did you upgrade to Windows 10?

I wouldn't order any recovery media from e-bay.

You can order your original factory recovery media from Acer.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

If you previously upgraded to Windows 10, you can download Windows 10 or use the Windows 10 repair tools.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • checkchanacer

I got the recovery discs from Acer today. After putting the system disc and boot the eRcovery screen comes up but then it got stuck as before. the busy icon keeps turning and nothing happens for about an hour. the cd does not seem to be turning and no hard disc access light.

• JordanB

I'm not sure if all you need is a hard drive replacement or if it's something more serious.  Obviously if it's still under warranty, call Acer.  

You could take it to a computer shop if not under warranty.

If your not under warranty and you think the hard drive is the problem then.......

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

Maybe someone else can help you diagnose. I'm out of ideas.

You never gave your complete model number including the OS that came pre-installed and the OS that you're currently using.

• checkchanacer

The desktop is a ATC-605--UW2T with win 7 home premium.

Now it is more a question of logistics, I am considering options:

1) get a refurbished system. I got one before for $220 that ran for 2 years and so average cost at 110/year.

2) get a new one. I got a HP before for $800 that ran for 5.5 years , at $145/year.

3) fix this ACER which I paid $480 new and ran for 1 year 3 months and had 3 serious breakdowns including this one.

• JordanB

I've got two TC-605.  TC-605-UR19 and TC-605-UR13.  Both have been rock solid.  I set up two more TC-605 for friend/family.  Both of those are rock solid too.  All four of them came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 but I upgraded them to Windows 10.  

I haven't heard of very much hardware trouble on this forum with the TC-605.  But I'm not sure if the problem you're having is hardware or not.  

On all four of the TC-605, I added a 250 GB SSD.....for some added speed.

Maybe you just had some bad luck. 

• JordanB

Before I ran those recovery discs, I would wipe the hard drive with diskpart clean to see if that helped.  There's quite a few posts on this forum on how to wipe your hard drive. Step-by-step instructions.

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User

Hi there Smiley Happy

Let me help with the HDD. What's the current HDD's brand and model?

I'd try to get it out of the desktop (if that doesn't void any warranty that the computer may still have) and connect it as a secondary drive on another computer. I'd then get a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes the tests. This should render it either safe to operate with or not. Another thing you could do is get a tool that will give you the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status. If you are not sure how to read them feel free to post them here. Smiley Happy

If you decide to get a new drive, I would first consider what is this computer used for and then decide on the storage configuration. You may be well off with a SSD as a primary OS drive and a HDD such as WD Blue or WD Black (depending on the usage) as a storage drive.

Post back if you need further guidance or if you need other help. Smiley Happy

Captain_WD.

• checkchanacer

When I boot on the recovery disc it went to the erecovery menu and got stuck there. How can I get to the dos environment and run the diskpart utulity? I don't see any specific post on this forum on diskpart.

• JordanB

I've never used Acer's recovery discs.  So the only way I know how to get to a command prompt.....

1. Create Windows 10 installation media using the tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2.  Boot the Windows 10 media and when you see the screen below, press Shift F10 on your keyboard and you'll get the command prompt.

winShiftF10.png

Diskpart clean works on both HDD and SSD

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

• checkchanacer

I was able to load Mini-XP from HirenBootcd. Going to the "my computer" icon it only shows a ram drive (BSmiley Happy with 900+ mb and the Mini-XP drive (XSmiley Happy with 250 mb. Does it mean my regular hard disk is cooked? ( it has 1 tbytes).

• Captain_WD

One way you could verify if the drive has malfunctioned or not is to connect it to another working desktop and see if the drive is recognized in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management.

If the drive isn't recognized in any of these three places it has probably failed beyond any chance of repair. If the drive is recognized in any of these three places, though, there may be a chance to get your data back..

Post back with some results! 

Captain_WD.

• checkchanacer

in BIOS one of the bootable device is listed as "WDC WD10ezex-21mzna0". I suppose it is a Western Digital HD. Does WD have some software to heck the disk?

• JordanB
  • checkchanacer

chkdsk does not work as mini-xp only recognize x drive ( xp) and b drive ( ram drive).

I don't have the full win7 media, only the recovery discs. When I boot on the recovery discs it goes to the erecovery screen and gets stuck there. I don't have a chance to get to the " repair computer" option.

• JordanB

Yeah, I don't know.

I've given you everything you need to get your system up and running again.

Check my post on using diskpart clean.

If you wipe your HDD with diskpart clean and then run the Acer recovery disks....and it still doesn't work......grab a new HDD.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK

Good luck.

• Captain_WD

If the drive's model is WD10EZEX this should be a WD Blue. You can use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool on this drive and see if it passes both the quick and the extended tests. 

Captain_WD.

• checkchanacer

If I install a new HDD can I re-install win7 from the recovery discs or do I need a new copy of win7?

• Captain_WD

The recovery disk should enable you to restore the PC to its factory condition including the OS. Unfortunately, recovery disks rely on the recovery partition of your drive and if the drive fails it is not able to work with it simply because it is gone and not on the drive. For this you would need a OS installation disk which hold all the information. 

Captain_WD.