i am trying to add memory to an acer atc-120.

Options
jpbk
jpbk Member Posts: 12 New User

it came with 4gb in slot 3, color coded blue. i added 4gb in the other blue slot. it sees the additional 4gb but it is not in dual channel mode. does the motherboard on this model support dual channel, and if so in what slot should i add the memory to?

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Yes it supports dual channel.

1. Have you bought the same memory module?
    2. Have you tried to switch both memory modules?
    3. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • jpbk
    Options

DTSV8AA005, it came with 4gb in slot 3, color coded blue, i installed the additional 4gb in the other slot colored blue. there is an open slot between the two blue slots. hardware info sees 8gb but it is not in dual channel mode. i do not understand why?

• jpbk
    Options

sorry did not answer all the questions, i bought a compatible module from kingston, they reccommended it.

• laurent_14
    Options

The brand of the original memory is Kingston or Hynix.

Have you tried to switch both memory modules?

Change memory slot:

0 new 3 original

0 original 3 new

France
  • jpbk
    Options

the original is kingston, but not the same model. i have not tried switching but i can try that if you advise. the odd thing is that hardware info says i have 4gb in slot 3 and 4gb in slot 2, then what is the slot number of the empty slot between 2 and 3?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jpbk
    Options

i purchased KTL-TC316S/4G. i spoke to kingston about compatability and they said there should be no issue, but they did not know the hardware info program i was using, hwinfo64, and asked me to use cpu-z. i downloaded and cpu-z says i am using dual channel, so the problem looks like the software. thanks for all the help.

• laurent_14
    Options

Strange! I use HWINFO for a long time and no problems. Mystery!

You could check with Speccy too.

France
  • jpbk
    Options

will try that other program, however i do see i ended up with a module i was not expecting, i was trying to buy the one suggested by JordanB but somehow when i went to newegg it somehow got lost in translation and i ended up with a different one. checking with kingston again and will call newegg after that. thanks again

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah the tc-605 uses the same memory as tc-120.

I bought the 4 GB module that kingston recommends in their memory finder.....which is the same exact 4 GB module that they recommend for tc-120......the same part number that I listed above.

HWinfo works fine and shows dual channel.  I guess it could be due to AMD (tc-120) vs Intel (tc-605).  Personally, I'd just get the module they recommend for the Acer system instead of the one for the Lenovo.

• JordanB
    Options
  • jpbk
    Options

Thanks for that, i came to the same conclusion and have made arrangements to swap it for the acer specific model. it will take a few days before i can swap them out but if you like i will update with the results.

• JordanB
    Options

Sounds good.  I hate to send things back....but at least something as small and light as a memory module shouldn't be very expensive in postage. 

When you get the new memory module, definitely post your findings with Hwinfo.  Hopefully it's not just a software bug with AMD and hwinfo.

• jpbk
    Options

JordanB, sorry for the delay but I have installed the Acer specifc module that was recommended and HWINFO still fails to detect dual channel and incorrectly identifies the memory slots that are housing the modules. CPUZ does a better job identifying dual channel but does not display the mode.

• JordanB
    Options

Thanks for sharing.  Must be a bug w/ HWinfo. 

• JordanB
    Options
  • JordanB
    Options

cpuzdual.PNG

speccydual.PNG

• jpbk