hard drive is making beeping sounds and will not load on power up?

AndyJ80UK
AndyJ80UK Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an E1 571 laptop, and have been using it with win 10 since its release, had minor issues, but on xmas day ( of all days) my hard drive started making beeping sounds and would not load, only to the boot menu screen but hd did not show up!

Picture the scene, taking photos of fam on xmas day and need to load them onto my laptop so i proceed to put my mem stick into laptop, copy photos across to hard drive, but by the time that finished my laptop decided to crash. i rebooted it with no problems but as the laptop settled down it crashed again and has not got past the acer logo screen, before telling me i have a pxe -e61 media test failure blah blah blah ( this is after i have F2ed the hell out of it and changed to legacy bios.)

I have tried to see if the hard drive would work on my pc but it makes the same beeping sound and does not show up in 'My computer'

Do i need a new hard drive or can i fix this issue by using Backup/restore discs? Which i will need to purchase or can i download from Acer?

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sadly I haven't heard anything like this before besides someone putting in a USB Memery sitck or different memery card device that was infected with a Virus. I am not saying this is your issue, Could be that your HDD for what ever reason has failed. 

I would try and turn on the system and see if you can get to your system Repair by Pressing the ALT-F10 buttons. IF you can I would try and maybe Restore your system off there. However if it don't work it could be that you have a Bad HDD.... When you say you get to your Boot Menu? Are you talking about the Windows Boot where you then would press enter to put in your PIN, Password, or you talking about being able to load into the Bios?

If it is your Boot menu, then most likely you could still repair your system. If only into Bios seeing you said your other system don't even see the HDD, and this computer isn't loading... A new HDD may be the next path... 

Now on to the software issue. If you have a system and able to DL the Window 10, Burn to a DVD, or USB you can still put Windows 10 back on however what ever software that you use from the old Software that came with your Laptop will not be there. Say if you use a DVD playback software that came with your computer that can be working under 10 with the Update to 10. Wouldn't show up with a Clean install of 10. Also other software and drivers that were loaded will need to be reloaded. Other option is to go to the Acer store and buy the Repair Media that is for your computer. Most I have seen cost 19.95USD plus shipping... This is for your system and wouldn't work on another no acer system... However with the ALT-F10 repair and the Repair media from Acer it will put your computer back to the software that it started out with....  Here is a link to the Acer store if you need to order the ERepair system

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

James

EDIT: Forgot to talk about the HDD if it is Beeping.... It almost sounds like your HDD may have the Heads stuck on the Platters.... It could be that you could fix it but I would say it is best that you take it to a Data Recovery company to remove your data...... However if your HDD is important for some files you could do a repair your self but will most likely not work to specs when you repair it yourself....Main issue is going to be Dust that you could put onto your Drive if you try the repair your self. Also your drive as most has a hidden screw under the paper of the drive label incase you take it apart your self you don't destroy the cover trying to remove it. If the head isn't in the park position when you take the cover off it can take some doing to get it to move. Again I would say if your worried about the data on your drive I would take it to a revovery repair center for repair. End Edit