damaged GTX 460? (blue screen on startup)

Options
amar4nt
amar4nt Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with my GTX 460 that occurred shortly after cleaning the inside of my computer. My Acer M7811 hasn't been cleaned for a couple of years. I used extensive amount of compressed air in cans to blow out the dust.

Prior to cleaning I faced some very rare blue screens and just as rare situations when my screen froze and I had to force restart.

After clean up everything was nice and quiet. I used 'Speccy' to check the temperatures on different components and they seemed pretty much the same when browsing internet etc.
No major changes were made software-wise; all the drivers were there already together with a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium. Regarding hardware I added some more matching RAM (upgraded from 4 GB to max of 8 GB).

After two days problems started: [I apologise for the long list but some of this might prove helpful]

1. The monitor turned off suddenly saying ' The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1080 60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per this monitor specifications'

2. after that I managed to access Windows two or three times, once being able to access 'Specc' again. It showed the same low temperatures as before. Each time everything froze together with the cursor within 5 minutes and I had to force restart.

3. Startup repair kicked in at some point trying to repair the problem. It failed and informed of a problem signature 6.1.7600.16385

4. After that the screen went black each time right after 'Starting Windows'. During the last time it went black I could hear the sound of the system starting and the GPU fan blowing air very loud

5. On the next restart I encountered a blue screen saying that 'attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed'. A file was also mentioned – 'nvlddkm.sus'. In the background, there were also some... dots? It wasn't just a solid blue colour, there were some weird striped patterns made of light blue dots.

6. Blue screen happened each time from now on when trying to start Windows normally.

7. When entering BIOS after pressing DEL I could also see that weird pattern made of dots in the blue background. In BIOS they were black and they appeared in horizontal stripe

8. I can access Windows in 'Safe Mode' without any problems

9. I decided to format system partition and reinstall Windows again. It works in low resolution without the GTX 460 drivers. After installing them, blue screen appears again

10. Tried GPU drivers ranging from the latest to oldest accessible (early 2015). No change

11. I enclose a screen from GPU-Z showing some details
http://postimg.org/image/napqbhf9f

12. I ejected the GPU, tried to clean the golden bits, spray some more air, make sure it is fully inserted. The only change it made was some blue dots in the background during the 'American Megatrends' startup screen. Happened once, though.

13. All the above happened when my monitor (Dell E2310Hc) was connected with the bottom GPU slot. If I plug the cable in the upper one there is no blue screen happening after 'Starting Windows' screen; instead of that the monitor turns off and shows the prompt mentioned above in point 1. With the cable in the upper slot I cannot access 'Safe mode'

14. Lastly Ia opened the card itself, removed the bits of dust left and applied new thermal paste. I did not see any visible damage but I might enclose photos. Same as before, the only novelty were some stripes of blue dots on one of the first startup screens. They seem to appear when the card is removed and put back in again.

Anyone has an idea what might have happened?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried different cables too?

by the way, dots or strange patterns can be sign of GPU ram issues.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • amar4nt
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to gain access to a different cable at the moment.

What you said about the RAM makes a lot of sense as GPU-Z estimates my memory size at 0 mb...

• amar4nt
    Options

Sorry for a late reply.

As previously advised I tried different cables. When using another DVI cable same blue screen happens. BIOS is just as 'dotty' as well. American Megatrends screen had some dots during the first restart only.

Below you can find a link to a screen showing the dotty artefacts:

postimg.org/image/wn1qn3xgt/

Then I tried plugging in VGA cable. I tried doing that

• with installed latest GTX 460 drivers

• with installed VGA Nvidia drivers from ACER's website (there were two, one proved incompatible before installation could start)

• with all display drivers removed

In all of those cases disconnecting the DVI cable and using VGA one instead resulted in the monitor darkening and displaying 'No DVI-D cable' and that's it.

When pressed some buttons on my Dell monitor and changed 'Input Source' from DVI-D to VGA the monitor stays black with a prompt saying 'there is no signal coming from your computer; to change to another source press the monitor button again'

When I ejected GTX 460 and left the blue VGA cable connecting the motherboard with the monitor the computer didn't start and the motherboard kept beeping with 1 long and 2 short beeps.

Device Manager > Display adapters

• without drivers it shows only 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'

• with drivers it shows only 'GTX 460'

If I disable the device and restart the computer, it shows as 'disabled' but I didn't notice any changes.

I cannot find any important manuals regarding my motherboard. All the specifications mention only 'Aspire M7811' as the name and googling the two numbers I found on the motherboard doesn't return any results. There is only one pdf on Acer's website but it's worthless and full of trivias.

Some specifications found on the internet says M7811 has a 'discrete' graphics card.

I also checked BIOS if there any display options but I can't see anything. I am posting some of the tabs here just in case one of them proves important. Apologies if it doesn't!

This BIOS version is P01-B2, it has been released on 4/29/2010

At the bottom it says American Megatrends v02.66 1985-2010. On the top it says 'CMOS Setup Utility'

Advanced Chipset Features (all enabled):

• Intel Eist, Intel XD Bit, Intel VT, Inter(R) TurboMode tech, Memory Hole Remapping

Advanced BIOS features:

• Quick Boot (enabled), Quiet Boot (enabled),1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Boot Devices, then Hard Disk, Optical Disk, Removable Device and Network Priority, Bootup Num-Lock (on) and USB Beep Message (disabled)

Integrated Peripherals:

• Onboard SATA Controller (enabled)

• Onboard SATA Mode (RAID)

• Onboard eSATA Controller (enabled)

• Onboard USB Controller (enabled)

• Legacy USB Support (enabled)

• USB Storage Emulation (Auto)

• Onboard Audio Controller (Enabled)

• Onboard LAN Controller (Enabled)

• Onboard LAN Option ROM (Disabled)

Power Management Setup

• ACPI Suspend Mode [S3 (STR)]

• Deep Power Off Mode (Enabled)

• Power On by RTC Alarm (Disabled)

• Power On by PCIE Devices (Disabled)

• Power On by Onboard LAN (Disabled)

• Wake Up by PS/2 KB/Mouse (Enabled)

• Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse (Enabled)

• Restore on AC Power Loss (Last State)

Frequency/Voltage Control

• Enable Clock to All DIMM/PCI (Enabled)

• Spread Spectrum (Enabled)

My goal now is to try the integrated display adapter in order to determine if those dots and blue screens are related to my GTX 460. I have no idea though how I should approach this.

1. Should there be two devices showing in the 'Device Manager'? Should I uninstall the only device that is showing up at the moment?

2. Should I update BIOS? I could not see any new updates in the driver section on Acer's website.

3. I read about hardware switches that you need to flip in order to use the integrated graphics support.. Do you reckon that's the case with my motherboard? If so, how can I find it? I was looking at it for a while but can't see a **bleep** thing.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i can't find any reference about hardware switches on your model and BIOS doesn't have any options to disable/enable integrated VGA.

the only thing you can try tis to take off the GTX460 and connect the monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • amar4nt
    Options

My motherboard doesn't have a DVI port, unfortunately...