atc-603-eb11,can you change the graphics card

Options
juice58
juice58 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

my son says the intel graphics card not good enough for him playing steam game,can i change to a better graphics card,and if so any special things i need to do.and can it only take a certain card

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi juice58,

There is a PCI express slot available on the ATC-603, so it is possible from that aspect. There are a couple other considerations that need to be made.

Game Requirements - So Steam is a digital distribution for different games. You can have a Steam Account, and have 1, 2, 50, 1000 different games on it. You'll need to understand which game your son is interested in playing. You can google "Steam (game name)" and it will take you to a Steam Page for that game that has system requirements. Here is an example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/

Power Consumption - I show that this PC has a 300w Power Supply (PSU). You'll need to find a card that meets this specification or a bigger PSU may be needed to run a higher end card. Based on the game requirements, a video card that requires a higher video card could need more than your current PSU can support.

Power Connections - Most video cards require a separate connection from the PSU, these are 6 (2x3) or 8 (2x4) pin connectors. Here is a picture for some older content, but could help you visualize it. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/zotac-geforce-gtx-480,9.html

I would recommend looking at a GTX 750ti as it is a smaller card that I don't believe requires a Power Connector. This will run most if not all games (it might require lowering the settings on some games to get a good frame rate).

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• nPHYN1T3
    nPHYN1T3 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Ya you can toss in a new GPU but there are other problems than previously mentioned. So my room mate got this machine with the intention to upgrade slowly. First problem it was advertised as a normal ATX based machine. To use a normal ATX PSU you will need to rewire (at your own peril) or buy an adapter. Next up is the Motherboard has some stupid quirks with a second GPU. The board automatically disables the onboard IGP once you add a GPU but it won't send anything to the GPU until the OS takes over. So if you have BIOS issues or set up problems you will have to remove your GPU every time you do anything low level. This really needs a BIOS UPDATE to fix this.
  • MastahP
    MastahP Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    What graphic card did you use that worked? I have tried a couple and both don't work with this computer but they do work with other computers.