aspire es 15 wont restore after windows 10 install

Options
skinny1965
skinny1965 Member Posts: 8 New User

I have a aspire es 15 that i instlled windows 10 over the 8 that came on it and then it got messed up with some other software I installed.

I have tried to restore to factory orginal but it will onlt give me windows 10 option and when I do it I do not get the acer preinstalled items

method of trying to get to restore has been to hold ALT and F10 on boot  but no luck getting to to say to restore to factory

help I want it to go back with the acer installed items

Answers

• skinny1965
    Options

when I try those options i do not get anything that allows me to do factory settings nor do I get the option to revert back to windows 8 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

This option isn't available?

If go back isn't available

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

reset.PNG

• JordanB
    Options

If you can't get it to work, then you can use vanilla windows 8.1 media (free)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

And get drivers from:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Or if you want the orginal OS and software that came with your computer, you can purchase from Acer store

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/html/pbPage.globalStoreSelector/ThemeID.35703000

• JordanB
    Options

I tested the recovery method below on my neighbors Acer TC-605 UR14 that came pre-installed with windows 8.1, but he had upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows Update.  He asked me to do clean install of Windows 10, so before I did, just out of curiousity, I tried the recovery method below to see if would actually work and go back to original Windows 8.1.  It worked fine and went back to factory condition w/ windows 8.1.

However, if you used a different Windows 10 recovery method, it might have messed up that option to revert to Windows 8.1 for you.  That's the only thing I can think of as to why it's not working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If go back isn't available

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

• JordanB
    Options

You can try to create a recovery drive too if it's not too late.  The recovery drive should be around 16 GB in size if your recovery partition is still intact.  But you might need a 32 GB USB flash drive in some cases to create the recovery drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

If you want to post a screenshot of windows disk management to see if your recovery partition is still there.

• skinny1965
    Options
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you tried this to reset it to 8.1:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26281/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQ1NjI5MjYxL3NpZC9iVm1rZUh6bQ%3D%3D

This will restore the computer to Factry default with everything it had when the first time you started it.

This will wipe EVERYTHING so, you should backup all your personal files first. Plug in a large USB drive or a HDD to USB and copy and paste your files to it.

• JordanB
    Options

I see your original recovery partition at 15.73 GB is still there.

Try to make a USB recovery drive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

• JordanB
    Options

Did it work like Philetus suggested?

• skinny1965
    Options

no as there is no acer software showing up 

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Do you mean, when you typed Acer Recovery "Acer Recovery Management" didn't show up or it did, but when you clicked it, "Restore Factory Settings" didn't show up?

• JordanB
    Options

The only other options that I'm aware of that might possibly work is to use a Windows 10 media (USB or DVD) and then select "Repair your PC" and use the reset....but I think that might be a long shot.

And there's the more advanced option of "reagentc.exe" method.  If you want to search this forum or google for the reagentc.exe method to re-link your recovery partition, you can.  Ironfly has posted about it on this forum.  And there's several guides on the internet.

Edit: Use the "reagentc /info" command first (search forum or google for more information)

• skinny1965
    Options

no acer programs show up it's like a blank windows 10 install 

no tools from acer nothing 

• JordanB
    Options

I tried explaining to you previously that when you used the "wrong" recovery method, you reset windows 10 which then only loaded the windows 10 operating system on your C drive.  The rest of the files were deleted on your C drive.    It appears to have also broken your link to the recovery partition.

• JordanB
    Options

Have you tried to make a USB recovery drive using the instructions that I posted for you previously?

Edit: If the used space on your recovery drive is around 16 GB, then you'll know that you were able to capture your factory default recovery partition.

• skinny1965
    Options

I will have to purchase a usb large enough to hold it 

there must be a way at reach the recovery partion still 

• JordanB
    Options

The only other options that I'm aware of that might possibly work is to use a Windows 10 media (USB or DVD) and then select "Repair your PC" and use the reset....but I think that might be a long shot.

And there's the more advanced option of "reagentc.exe" method.  If you want to search this forum or google for the reagentc.exe method to re-link your recovery partition, you can.  Ironfly has posted about it on this forum.  And there's several guides on the internet.

Edit: Use the "reagentc /info" command first (search forum or google for more information)