aspire 5560-sb613 BIOS won't respond to key entries to enter BIOS

Options
ronap
ronap Member Posts: 6 New User

Seems to have been bricked by failure of the hard drive with Win 8.1 installed in secure mode. To explain: I bought a replacement HD to reinstall the OS but on boot the laptop would not respond to f12 or f2 to change the boot order to boot from either the dvd or usb to enter a Win install disk! Thus began a long odysey.

I then tried installing the Win to the HD on another computer (I did this previously to get Win 8.1 installed to the original failed HD before failure and transfered it to the Acer LT with no problem). This time the Acer would not recognize the drive. I then realized that the win on the failed HD had been installed in secure mode. So I tried instlling win on the replacement drive in secure mode. The Acer LT would still not recognize it! I've tried removing the battery to reset the BIOS. Since the BIOS is actually UEIF firmware on flash media that didn't work. There doesn't appear to be any phisical reset on the MB. 

It appears that because of a failed HD I am left with a Acer laptop with no means to reinstall any OS including restoring the original win 7 because the UEIF implementation is stuck in secure mode with no mean to disable the secure mode to permit booting from any repair/restore/installation media. Is this laptop at all recoverable?????? I would appreciate any answer before I have to trash it out of frustration.