acer atc 120-uc22 with windows 8.1. Can i add an internal 1TB XP disk drive?

Options
lsniderman
lsniderman Member Posts: 2 New User

I just bought an acer atc 120-uc22 with windows 8.1. Can i add an internal 1TB disk drive which is currently installed in my XP machine?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

yes, you need to open the case, check if any SATA port and power connector are available then put the 1TB HDD on the ATC.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • lsniderman
    lsniderman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

thanks for the quick reply. Assuming that it has a SATA port and a power connector and I can install the disk will I be able to access all of the files that are on the disk? Or will I have to reformat the disk in order to use it?

I am new to this. What is the "ATC"?

Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

ATC 120-uc22 (your desktop model)

you will be able to access the files on the HDD, if windows 8.1 will find any issue it will ask to format but i doubt.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    Instead of installing your old hard drive inside your new computer, you can buy an external hard drive enclosure. Most of the geeks that I know, choose to go that route.

The link below describes a product that connects 3.5 internal drive to a USB 2.0 port on your computer. I don't own the product below, I am just using it as an example. The hard drive enclosure that I own has USB 3.0. But I have it plugged in to a USB 2 port. So I guess I should have bought the cheaper model. Smiley Wink. I payed around $40 for the one I own. The model I have will work with both 2.5 inch drives and 3.5 drives. You can research which model would be best if you decide to go that route.

I only have one extra available Sata port available on my acer computer and I'm saving that for a SSD drive later this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Aluminum-Enclosure-Cooling-EC-UEIS7/dp/B001PHLMAE/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427629788&sr=1-14&keywords=Usb+to+sata

Edit: I found the enclosure that I bought a couple years ago. It works really well. But in hind sight, I would have probably bought something much cheaper since I don't use it that much.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar3-SuperSpeed-Enclosure-NST-380SU3-BK/dp/B0064I1NRG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427633044&sr=1-2&keywords=Nexstar+3

The specs don't mention being compatible with 2.5 inch drives, so it's possible that they threw in an adapter 2 years ago.