acer aspire xc-603-er25 device manager

Options
kevlam
kevlam Member Posts: 14 New User

after a clean install from dvd of windows 10 i let windows install drivers then i installed the missing txe , realtek audio, intel chipset.  I noticed in device maneger it sais firmware and under it it sais system firmware and not the computer model like 8.1 did.  And under IDE ATA/Atapi it doesnt say my processor ands tuff there it only sais standard Sata controller.  Is this normal for windows 10 on this machine, or is there something wrong.  Seems to me the Chipset driver acer gave for my machine and windows 10 OS is either missing info or something that it isnt loading those drivers into device manager.  thanks for any help with this.   By the wya I treied installing intel chipset from intels website and it fixed up the ATI ATA controller issue, but then my pc started to freeze randomly so i had to restore to an earlier date to fix the freeze issue.  thanks for any help yo might be able to give me.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

intel chipset drivers from windows 8.x are just a devices renaming, they don't add pretty much more than standard microsoft drivers.

if you xc-603 is running good and device manager doesn't have any yellow exclamation mark, don't worry too much about descriptions.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

intel chipset drivers from windows 8.x are just a devices renaming, they don't add pretty much more than standard microsoft drivers.

if you xc-603 is running good and device manager doesn't have any yellow exclamation mark, don't worry too much about descriptions.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I agree with Ironfly, but if you want to try it again.....for the heck of it....or you have exclamations....

According it Intel, you're supposed to run the Intel Driver Update Utilty first, and if it tells you if you need to update your chipset driver (inf).....it will prompt you to update.  Obviously if you tried that already and had problems....then you probably don't want to update the chipset driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

Quote from Intel:

"Detailed Description

Want to save time? Not sure if you need this file?   

Run this easy to use Intel® Driver Update Utility and it will automatically tell you if you need to update your chipset INF file, and if so, will prompt you to install and you are done. This will save you a lot of time not only on your chipset download but the most common files needed for your system."

Edit: According to info below, the chipset driver will communicate to the OS (Windows) "a) let the OS know, that for the related Intel Chipset Device a driver is neither needed nor available"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From win-raid:

Preliminary Notes regarding Intel's Chipset "Drivers"

The "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" (formerly named "Intel(R) INF Update Utility") seems to be the most overestimated "driverpack" for Intel Chipset system:
    Only a minority of the Intel Chipset users know, that the on-board Intel Chipset devices are working fine without any "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software". In various Forums you can read the advice to install the "latest Intel Chipset Drivers" as first and much important step after the installation of any Windows Operating System. Otherwise the users will never get a stable and performant system.

The reality is quite different:

1. Although the Device Manager shows the information files as "drivers", the "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" doesn't contain any real driver (= .SYS file), but just textmode (= .INF) files, which
      • a) let the OS know, that for the related Intel Chipset Device a driver is neither needed nor available and
      • b) gives the user the information, that the related device is an Intel one.
    2. None of the Windows Operating Systems needs the .INF files for a proper functionality and a good performance.

If you don't believe me, please read >this< official statement from Intel regarding the importance and the function of the "Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility".
    These are the main statements done by Intel:

• The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is not a driver and does not include drivers.
    • The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility gives the product name for the piece of hardware. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.

My conclusions:

1. The installation of any "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" or their included INF files is only useful, if the Device Manager shows a yellow mark at an Intel (VEN_8086) device with a "missing driver".
    2. Since the newest Windows Operating systems are able to detect and to name by their own all Intel chipset devices, which were on the market at the release of the OS, there is usually no need at all and no benefit for the users to install or update the Intel chipset device INF files (often named by mistake "Intel chipset drivers").
    3. Only users with a brandnew Intel chipset (from 8-Series up for Windows 7, from 9-Series up for Windows 8/8.1) or a very old Windows OS should install the latest suitable "Intel(R) Chipset Device Software" to get rid from the "missing driver" message within the Device Manager.
    4. Forcing the installation of a not required or already present Intel Chipset Device INF file (e.g. by using the -overall command) doesn't make any sense, but will blow up the user's registry and the Windows\inf folder with garbage (unused resp. unusable oemxx.inf files). Furthermore the forced installation of unusable drivers generally may overwrite actually in use other drivers and that can cause degraded performance or a lack of features.

http://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html